Logitech z5500 stopped working

K-P-C

Estimable
Apr 29, 2014
I have a 6 year old set of z5500's

I know these have been problematic speakers and my set is no exception

However in the research I've done, it seems that either the fuse is blow or the pod dies

I pulled the fuse, it is good, my pod doesn't give any error messages and the screen is illuminated and functioning property. The on/off button is working properly, the volume knob increases & decreases the bar level on the display, everything looks to be working fine, but the speakers aren't actually working.

I tested my soundcard, it works fine with another set of speakers, so it isn't the sound card, i tested the z5500 plugging them into an ipod, and the z5500's don't work on the ipod either. So it isn't the soundcard, the problem is in the speaker set.

But how do I know what part is wrong with the speakers. Most likely it seems that the problem is in the pod, but at $128 (going price right now on eBay for a new replacement pod), that is $128 that I don't want to just throw out there in a wild attempt that it solving the problem.

I called logitech and they wanted nothing to do with helping me out. So i'm posting this asking for help, how can I diagnose what part is broke in my z5500 system.

K-P-C

Estimable
Apr 29, 2014
so i just dug into the control pod and noticed the Cirrus Logic cs42526-CQZ is toasty, upon doing some more searching, i found that chip is a common problem and some people are replacing the chip and adding a heat sink. i'm considering trying to replace that chip and see if that fixes the problem. non of the caps are domed, everything else inside the pod looks good. i also pulled the amp cover off the back of the sub and everything in there looks fine, nothing smells burnt. So i'm hoping it is only the Cirrus Logic cs42526-CQZ chip that is toast, hoping just replacing that ends up being a cheap fix.

tj_124

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

I'm in EXACTLY the same situation as you are. The controller seems ok, but no sound from the speakers.
I have not disassembled anything yet.
What did you end up finding?