Solved! Long Range Wifi Receiver

Sep 11, 2020
Hi,

I want to receive a wifi which is about 200m far from me. My PC can't see of course this wifi because it's a bit far.
Is there any device that can afford me to receive this wifi (i suppose it will be a long range wifi receiver or something like this) ?

Last edited:
Solution
Dell XPS 15 W10
Yes.
It's a network of a company.
2 small buildings.
Yes.
While not trying to discourage you, this is a bigger task that you may realize. For a reliable connection, you need both ends of the network to use directional antennas, pointed at each other, direct line of site is needed. That means getting the antennas high enough to clear obstructions, like buildings.

You could be spending several hundreds of dollars to make this work. If that is acceptable, Ubiquiti makes products designed for such purposes. Also, it is not just a matter of connecting one of these to a laptop and it works:

There are DIY projects to self build long range devices, such as...
Sep 11, 2020
Even 200m is difficult. What is your budget for this endeavor? For whoever owns the network you want to connect to, are they willing to assist (like erect an antenna) your efforts?

I will have access to the Wifi once i receive it but there is no assist.

For the budget, i really don't know. I'd like to know first what i have to use and see what it costs (do i need an antenna or simply a device).

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What PC or laptop do you have now? Do you have any other networking devices at your location?

Who owns the network you wish to connect to?

Also, what is between the two points (trees, buildings, terrain)? Do you have direct line of sight?

Sep 11, 2020
What PC or laptop do you have now? Do you have any other networking devices at your location?

Who owns the network you wish to connect to?

Also, what is between the two points (trees, buildings, terrain)? Do you have direct line of sight?

Dell XPS 15 W10
Yes.
2 small buildings.
Yes.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Dell XPS 15 W10
Yes.
2 small buildings.
Yes.
While not trying to discourage you, this is a bigger task that you may realize. For a reliable connection, you need both ends of the network to use directional antennas, pointed at each other, direct line of site is needed. That means getting the antennas high enough to clear obstructions, like buildings.

You could be spending several hundreds of dollars to make this work. If that is acceptable, Ubiquiti makes products designed for such purposes. Also, it is not just a matter of connecting one of these to a laptop and it works:

There are DIY projects to self build long range devices, such as:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzRg4rEfW1J21IwIQ1J7P7V3ekvEBoT3V

But you still need to do things on both ends of the network for this to work as desired.

I get the impression that connecting to the other end of the network offers you limited access to their hardware, if any access at all (like connecting to a company's public network). If this is the case, none of these solutions are going to work properly and you could also be violating terms of service of the connected network or even have legal implications.

If that isn't the situation, I'll leave this here for others to consider for their circumstances.

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I suggest you take a look at our sister site, Tom's Hardware, in the Wireless Networking section of the forum. There are some members there with incredible expertise that may be to assist better. Keep in mind, you are likely to be asked of the legitimacy of your effort (that has not been firmly established here).

Reactions: low2020
Sep 11, 2020
I suggest you take a look at our sister site, Tom's Hardware, in the Wireless Networking section of the forum. There are some members there with incredible expertise that may be to assist better. Keep in mind, you are likely to be asked of the legitimacy of your effort (that has not been firmly established here).

Thank you very much COLGeek.

I'll take a look to these links and also will post of course in the Wireless Networking section.

The wireless is for a company i'm working for. Once i'm at work, i have access to this wireless (private). The company has an access point about 200m far from where i live. The reason why i want to connect to this wireless is just for doing some tasks at home because the company wifi allow me to run some apps related to my work.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thank you very much COLGeek.

I'll take a look to these links and also will post of course in the Wireless Networking section.

The wireless is for a company i'm working for. Once i'm at work, i have access to this wireless (private). The company has an access point about 200m far from where i live. The reason why i want to connect to this wireless is just for doing some tasks at home because the company wifi allow me to run some apps related to my work.
Good luck. Be prepared to spend some money to put a reliable "bridge" in place.

Reactions: low2020