Longer life on laptop

May 21, 2018
Asus problem
Hello, I am seeking some guidance from the community. Due to some physical limitations I have to use a laptop for 10-12 hours a day. That breaks down to 5 hours of business apps, another couple doing some heavy graphic usage and then a few hours of relaxing on games. I had a Dell that ended up dying after 19 months. It was replaced with a Asus G751jy that now will not recognize the AC adapter (replaced with a new one from Asus). In speaking with support I have been told it could be the AC port, or and internal connection, or the phase of the moon. Estimate over 1k to resolve. The system sits on a cooling pad to increase air flow. All of that being said, I need to get a new laptop. First, am I looking for the laptop to do more than one really can? If not, can someone recommend a good unit that will last for more the 2 years? I liked the Asus until it failed. For the general questions spend under 2k, would like at least 3 years of use, 17 inch screen with graphics on mid. Mostly just want a mid grade unit.

Solution
It's really impossible to say how long a system will last, could be 10 years, could be a week. Both Dell and ASUS have good reliability overall as a brand. Why not get a desktop? Do you need it to be portable? Or get a desktop and a laptop for light use, or even a tablet.

Most longevity I see in systems, and the ones I use and have friends buy, is Lenovo business class T and X models. While they have had a few hard drive issues in some years (5-6 years ago), the main parts rarely fail outside of someone dropping it.
It's really impossible to say how long a system will last, could be 10 years, could be a week. Both Dell and ASUS have good reliability overall as a brand. Why not get a desktop? Do you need it to be portable? Or get a desktop and a laptop for light use, or even a tablet.

Most longevity I see in systems, and the ones I use and have friends buy, is Lenovo business class T and X models. While they have had a few hard drive issues in some years (5-6 years ago), the main parts rarely fail outside of someone dropping it.

Solution
May 21, 2018

Thank you, this is what I assumed, just wanted to make sure I was not missing something in the gaming level systems. I will just start budgeting for replacements sooner :)