looking for a 14-15 inch lightweight good battery laptop for gaming under 1000 dollars

hoopdidou44

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Hey, I'm looking g for a 14-15 inch laptop at about 1000$ with good battery and that's light, but also can run some games like borderlands 2 and just cause 2 at medium-high settings without getting hot, thanks

Other: I was looking at the lenovo ideapad y510p and another MSI computer at about the same price, but where ever I go, the reviews always say they get really hot, which is something I don't want in my PC

Solution
fan noise on both notebooks is pretty quiet I would say (I have lots of friends with the 17 in ROG laptops). neither laptop throttles back when loaded up either. (on mine i sometimes see the turbo clock switching on and off but it never goes below its rated speed) the GPU however I have NEVER seen it back off (it runs at the GPU boost speed all the time at 718mhz. as I said when mine is loaded up its not very noticeable. the fan moves a ton of air though the only thing i would be worried about is if you are a left hand mouser. (the exhaust is on the left side). if you are right handed then you are all good.

frank the tank

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
HP has left a bad taste in my mouth. I would look into an ASUS N56 JR its a little over but its a monster (760m and 4700HQ) it also runs quiet and doesnt get too hot. and the battery lasts about 5 hours. Build quality is very good too

hoopdidou44

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Yeah I have looked into both the Asus and VAIO, my friend has the asus, and I love it, but it's a bit too heavy for me, do you know if sony has good build quality? Because I need my laptop to last 3-4 years

VR_Shinobi

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

From everything that I have read it seems Sony makes a pretty decent laptop. As long as it is taken care of I don't see a reason why it shouldn't last that long.

hoopdidou44

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
So I looked at everything and I'm kinda leenig back towards the Asus, do you guys think 6 pounds is too heavy to carry around? I wouldn't be taking it everywhere, just around the house and occasionally to my friends house or too school, and does the Asus n56jr have the beefy back fans like the republic of gamers series do? Because it'll be on my lap alot

frank the tank

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

The n56 JR uses a single exhaust on the left side that is fairly large. the underside of the machine doesn't get that hot and all of the intakes are near the front so it will have airflow on your lap. for me 6 pounds isnt too heavy (lighter than most of my textbooks LOL). even though it has a single exhaust. the fan is VERY BEEFY while remaining quiet (temperatures on the CPU reach around 85C while the GPU doesn't break 80C in worst case scenario loads)

here is a pic of the exhaust vent

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/11/pebydazy.jpg

hoopdidou44

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Ok so i have narrowed it down to two laptops, the asus ROG G55vw or the Asus n56jr, the ROG isn't as powerful as the n56jr, but it has two beefy fans out the back which I love. I think the main reason I'm so fidgity about beefy fans is that my last laptop was a crappy HP with the exhaust out the bottom, and it would actually burn your legs if you put it on your lap

frank the tank

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

im running 8.1 on my N56JR. all you need to do is make sure you are running the latest bios before you update. (its really easy to do) I have no problems with my video card.

the 55vw is a nice machine but i think you will be happier with the n56. i was skeptical at first about the single fan cooler on it but it works really well and it remains quiet i have never seen mine throttle at all (at worst it will disable turbo on the CPU but it never goes below its rated speed)

frank the tank

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Hmm that cyber-power looks like an MSI GE60. those are decent machines with very potent GPU's. I know a few people with them and they love them. the only thing is the GE60 design inst the best for dissipating heat (you may experience CPU throttling) and the fans on those things are loud. also the chassis is very "plasticy" and battery life is very meh. but they have a huge access panel for upgrading RAM, HDDs and access to the heat-sink.

but for that price id say its a good deal. (considering the N56 has a slightly lesser GPU and costs $10 more but then again
id say the N56 has a much better build quality to it) if you can id go to a computer store and try out an N56 and an MSI GE60 ( its the same machine as the cyberpower) and see how you like them.

hoopdidou44

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Well my local computer store said that the n56jr was discontinued, and they don't sell MSI, so that's gonna be an issue but I'm probably gonna get an Asus G46vw ( the 14 inch ROG)

frank the tank

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
The 46vw is a nice rig. I'm surprised your store discontinued the n56 they were released last November and nothing new silicon wise has hit the market for them to discontinue them. The 46vw is nice but you are dealing with last gen hardware (the 660m is almost the same as the 750m). Any other laptops that store carry's? I'd say get the n56 on newegg for $1000 if you want it. They are really nice.

hoopdidou44

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
i think im gonna give in to the tank, does the n56jr run hot? also, do the fans get loud or run when the computer is idle or surfing the internet or using microsoft word? finally do you use a cooling pad? (because the computer im using to type this on is elevated and a piece of cardboard is between my lap and it and its still almost burning me)