Looking for a 17" Desktop Replacement Laptop

batpinkyman

Honorable
Sep 7, 2014
Im looking for a high performance, 17" inch, 1920x1080 resolution laptop. I don't plan to game on it, but I would like high performance so everything looks good and moves smoothly. Like when I open various windows it doesn't lag or various internet tabs and windows. I would be using it for school work, web surfing, watching videos, watching movies, etc. I can accept either Windows 7 or Windows 8 but, I'd prefer Windows 8. It has to have 4GB RAM minimum and 500GB HDD 7200 RPM minimum. My budget is upto $1500 but, if I need to go higher for a specific laptop, I will. I would prefer a backlit keyboard, but it doesn't have to have it. Thanks :D

Solution

It's kind of for gaming.. Isn't there something with my requirements that isn't made for gaming, just a high performance desktop replacement? Thanks for looking but it's not what I had in mind.

batpinkyman

Honorable
Sep 7, 2014

My purposes might be mild, but you wouldn't know how hard it is to find a laptop with my requirements. Plus I don't want some crappy Dell, I want something to last me a good 2-3 years.

I would either go with dell or asus for this. They are both good at making good screens and laptops that work for a long time.

Asus may be slightly more expensive than dell but you get a good quality build return and port selection. As for dell you get cheaper laptops that has an ok build quality and excellent port selection. For asus look at their rog series which may be over the top for what you need. for dell, you could look at alienware but they are expensive.

An alternative to all this are barebones laptop which are generally cheaper. For these I don't have any specific models as I have never used them.

batpinkyman

Honorable
Sep 7, 2014

It's kind of for gaming.. Isn't there something with my requirements that isn't made for gaming, just a high performance desktop replacement? Thanks for looking but it's not what I had in mind.

Solution

Desktop replacements/workstation laptops and gaming laptops share a lot in common with one another. You really do not need to aim this high for performance. Find something with either an i5 or an i7 and a good solid state drive (Samsung drives are recommended). RAM is up to you, based on your computing habits and programs you'll be using.

My recommendation is to look into resellers like us. We (resellers) take laptops in our catalog and customize them. You can easily pick out a $700 - $800 or so system, opt for a few upgrades, and end up with something that will certainly meet your expectations, and still pay less than $1500.

Brands to consider: Clevo, Asus, or MSI.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
I'm not a gamer but I always buy gaming machine mainly because they have the power components. Basically what separates the gaming machine from the non gaming is the type of graphics. I've owned 2 Clevo systems and loved them (Sagers). I just bought the Alienware and my previous Windows 7 machine is an Acer AS8950G. It came with 8 gb of ram 2 HD slots with 1 750 gb HD. I added a 120 gb then a 240 gb SSD and moved the HD to the second bay thne eventually upgrade it to 1 1 TB HD. I added memory to go to 16GB and even replaced the Wireless card with a Intel 802.11 N card.

batpinkyman

Honorable
Sep 7, 2014

Well, come to think of it I wouldn't mind a gaming laptop.. I just hate gaming laptops being so bulky. I don't mind heavy but bulky looks awful. And I won't physically customize a laptop. It's just too much of a hassle, it's not for me. Thanks still, for the answer

batpinkyman

Honorable
Sep 7, 2014

Thing is, I don't need to game. I'd like a slim one (laptop)

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
We each have a preference I like the strong sturdy non-plastic case. I need lots of drive space so I prefer and machine with as many drives as possible. I'm not a gamer but love to get the most powerful components so I also need air flow for that.

OP, look into the N550JK. It seems to hit most of the marks in terms of what you want from a laptop.

Honestly, it's not much hassle to at least opt for an upgrade to a solid state drive for performance. You don't have to configure the laptop from top to bottom, and adding that one upgrade to that model (unless you find the laptop equipped with an SSD already) will definitely yield the performance you seem to be looking for.

Thetechmech

Estimable
Jun 8, 2014
Oh ...sorry about that....Good looking out Prostar Computer ...Well if your look for a slim computer with the right amount of power for the right price try this laptop. ASUS X750JB-DB71 17.3-Inch Laptop (Dark Gray) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DXFF6EO/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00DXFF6EO&linkCode=as2&tag=thepcgamhar-20&linkId=R4LWUBOY47MAT36X

Intel i7-4700HQ 2.4 GHz (turbo to 3.4 GHz).
1 TB Hard Drive, 8GB RAM.
17.3" HD+ Screen. 1.2MP Webcam.
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW. Wireless 802.11N.
2x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0, HDMI, VGA, Gigabit Ethernet, SDXC card reader.