Solved! Looking for a Bad Ass Laptop

striker007

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
1. What is your budget?
Somwhere around $4000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17" at least

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Highest possible

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Want portability but will be Desktop replacement. Move around a lot and don't want to tote a whole PC

5. How much battery life do you need?
As much as possible, Will mainly be plugged in but would like as long as possible just in case.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Med-High settings for all. WOW is definite and I play some of the first person stuff like COD: Black Ops, But I really want it capable of handling most of the roughest games out there.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Downloading and burning CD's and Movies

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Thinking SSD but am looking for best performance and longevity. I want this to last quite a few years, external drive for movie and music storage

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Looking into Xotic PC and Origin.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Looking for at least 4-5 years worth, Probably a little longer

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Need to burn everything but want Blu-Ray Read/Write as well

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No real preference in this area

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Bit of a Noob here. looking for something that I will be happy with for a long time to come. Move around to much to have a home base system. Plan on using my internal drives for programs and games only. Want the best I can get and am willing to pay to make that happen. It's been about 6 years since my last so I figure I'm do.

Solution
Have you thought of checking out the Sony Vaio EC. It's $1200, and packed with a punch.

It has a 17.3 in screen ideal for movies, casual gaming, or work.Also ATI Mobility Radeon™ dedicated graphics, built-in Blu-ray Disc™ technology. Def some high end graphics here.

Some other specs: Screen
17.3" (1920x1080) HD
Processor
2.53 GHz Intel® Core™ i5-460M
RAM
4 GB DDR3 1000 MHz
Storage
500 GB HDD 7200 RPM
Operating system
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I think it would be a solid choice, but you can decide for yourself. With a $4000 budget you can really get something solid!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pc-scout/laptop-details.aspx?pcid=2f329921-4bff-df11-bb23-02bf9d3bf32a

Kevin
Windows Outreach Team

WindowsTeam_Kevin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Have you thought of checking out the Sony Vaio EC. It's $1200, and packed with a punch.

It has a 17.3 in screen ideal for movies, casual gaming, or work.Also ATI Mobility Radeon™ dedicated graphics, built-in Blu-ray Disc™ technology. Def some high end graphics here.

Some other specs: Screen
17.3" (1920x1080) HD
Processor
2.53 GHz Intel® Core™ i5-460M
RAM
4 GB DDR3 1000 MHz
Storage
500 GB HDD 7200 RPM
Operating system
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I think it would be a solid choice, but you can decide for yourself. With a $4000 budget you can really get something solid!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pc-scout/laptop-details.aspx?pcid=2f329921-4bff-df11-bb23-02bf9d3bf32a

Kevin
Windows Outreach Team

Solution
Hello striker007;
Even spending $4000 now I don't think in 4 years you'd be all that happy with gaming performance with 4 years on top-of-the-line games.

My suggestion would be get something like the Sager NP8170-S1 now for about $2170 with GTX 485M upgrade 1920x1080 17.3" LCD, Sandy Bridge Core i7-2630QM 8GB RAM.
Then in 2014 get the best laptop that $1800+ will buy and use that for the through 2017.