Looking for a budget beginner (filmmaking) camera

that_berkmann

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
Hi, I am a beginner filmmaker and a amateur photographer. Currently I am looking for a camera that solves both my needs: shooting good video (1080p upto 60fps or 4K) and takes reasonable good photos. The camera should not break the budget of around 500-600 $ / €. I think of the Canon Eos 750D or the Panasonic Lumix DMC G7. Can anyone recommend something better? If not, which camera would you choose?

Thanks in advance .

Solution
Check out the Sony mirrorless. A good selection of lenses for photo as well as video. The right lens and and autofocus system on the lens makes all the difference for video.

In a nutshell, you want a slow autofocus for video, fast for photo. A good lens for video might be bad for photo. Sony has a half decent range of lenses for their mirrorless.

Panasonic makes a great video camera but their range of lenses and availability might bother you. With a Sony you have more selection from 3rd parties like Sigma and Tamron.

googlyeyedchicken

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
Instead of me typing a long answer in found someone who did it for me. The Panasonic Lumix series are really solid cameras. I am a photographer and use a Nikon DSLR but I'd use a Mirrorless for video because I can preview things. Canon DSLRs are all the rage with YouTube vloggers but DSLRs are slow to focus (this depends on models and lense as well) and most don't do 4K video (unless you want to spend a lot).

Simply put: I would choose the G7 :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Filmmakers/comments/4f6mmm/best_dslr_under_600_for_filmmaking/

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Check out the Sony mirrorless. A good selection of lenses for photo as well as video. The right lens and and autofocus system on the lens makes all the difference for video.

In a nutshell, you want a slow autofocus for video, fast for photo. A good lens for video might be bad for photo. Sony has a half decent range of lenses for their mirrorless.

Panasonic makes a great video camera but their range of lenses and availability might bother you. With a Sony you have more selection from 3rd parties like Sigma and Tamron.

Solution