Looking for a cheap Hackintosh-compatible laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanisawesome55

Honorable
Oct 2, 2016
Hello,
My name is Ryan. Right now, I am in search of a laptop that is really cheap and at the same time can be configured to run Mac OS X High Sierra using Hackintosh. It has to have at least 4 GB of RAM and the HDD/SSD size has to be enough to run Mac OS X High Sierra+at least 5 GB of storage for files. The CPU has to be 64-bit, but the laptop needs to be cheap!
I'm thinking maybe a modded Chromebook, but that wouldn't be a viable option because of the hardware limitations. Maybe I could use a Lenovo IdeaPad 100 or HP Stream 13, but I'm not really sure.
Any ideas?
Thanks for your help!

Solution
Your best best is to look through the install guides at Tonymacx86 as JoeMomma mentioned. Look for one which is a 100% working without a lot of modification. That being said. Don't buy a laptop with the intention of it being a hackintosh.

Manufacturers oftentimes have parts of the same spec from multiple vendors in the same model. While it may be 100% compatible for one person. You may get one with a different trackpad, WiFi/Bluetooth chip, Ethernet controller, USB 3.1 controller, &c. That laptop with an Alps trackpad which worked great for some guy may come with an incompatible Synaptics trackpad for you. That Atheros Wifi for him may be a useless Broadcom for you. So, it is a crapshoot with any OEM computer.

Everyone does this...

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
You are on the wrong website.
The place to ask that question is Tony Mac X86.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/high-sierra-laptop-guides.193/

It is possible, but I don't know for sure and I'm not going to do your homework for you.

Best of Luck!

Your best best is to look through the install guides at Tonymacx86 as JoeMomma mentioned. Look for one which is a 100% working without a lot of modification. That being said. Don't buy a laptop with the intention of it being a hackintosh.

Manufacturers oftentimes have parts of the same spec from multiple vendors in the same model. While it may be 100% compatible for one person. You may get one with a different trackpad, WiFi/Bluetooth chip, Ethernet controller, USB 3.1 controller, &c. That laptop with an Alps trackpad which worked great for some guy may come with an incompatible Synaptics trackpad for you. That Atheros Wifi for him may be a useless Broadcom for you. So, it is a crapshoot with any OEM computer.

Everyone does this. Even in an iPhone you don't know if it is an Intel LTE or Broadcom LTE chip. LG Display or Samsung display.

By the way you can get a 2012/2013 Core i5 Macbook Air with 8GB RAM for about $300 to $350 off eBay. Then you don't have to worry about compatibility. Just change the battery and it should be good for another three or four years. You can get a 2012 Macbook Pro 13 with 8GB RAM for under $300. Slap a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo in it and it will snap right along. As for batteries. I prefer Anker for a value brand. Just get one with over a 100 reviews on Amazon with at least a 4 (preferably 4.5) star rating.

Solution

ryanisawesome55

Honorable
Oct 2, 2016

Hmmm... That seems like a good solution for me! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.