Looking for a decent gaming laptop

soyouz

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
1. What is your budget?

300-500 pounds.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Size doesn't matter too much but preferably not much less than 15.6

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Not sure..

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Desktop replacement laptop

5. How much battery life do you need?

No less than 3 hours. It doesn't matter that much though.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I'll be playing Heroes of Newerth mainly, preferably at highest settings.
These are the recommended settings:

Processor - 2.4GHz Core 2 or i3 / 2.2GHz i5 or i7 / AMD 3500+ or faster
RAM - 2.0+ GB for Win XP / 3.0+ GB for Win 7
Video Card - 256MB Geforce 7800+ or Radeon X1900+
OS - 32-bit Windows XP, 64-bit Windows 7

Would preferably like the specs to be higher but it all depends on price. Would like to be able to max the settings but as I mentioned I've got no idea what the prices are.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

200 GB at least.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Approx 2 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

None.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Don't mind any.

13. What country do you live in?

England

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

soyouz

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Won't allow me to edit my post, I forgot to mention I might be buying it from either ebay.co.uk or amazon.co.uk.

Cheers

popatim

Splendid
You said you wanted a decent gaming laptop but failed to mention what games you would like to play on it.
Just for example that a6 would be able to play crysis 2 but you'd only manage about 15 frames per second.

soyouz

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Not sure if you read this part but I mentioned the following:

I'll be playing Heroes of Newerth mainly, preferably at highest settings.
These are the recommended settings:

Processor - 2.4GHz Core 2 or i3 / 2.2GHz i5 or i7 / AMD 3500+ or faster
RAM - 2.0+ GB for Win XP / 3.0+ GB for Win 7
Video Card - 256MB Geforce 7800+ or Radeon X1900+
OS - 32-bit Windows XP, 64-bit Windows 7

Cheers, I'll be ordering this soon I think. Though I have heard that it has overheating problems? But since I won't be playing extremely demanding games that might not be an issue.

Besides HoN and Dota games I also play Starcraft 2, I suppose this laptop would support it at at least medium settings though.

ikesmasher

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
dont get an a6 for that price. Get an A8-3500m.
The 540M is probably a little better, and the i3 a higher clock speed, but the A8 has a quad core (more future proof) and its integrated card (the 6620g) uses MUCH less power and generates MUCH less heat. I have seen both and in normal tasks there is not much if any a speed difference, and since hon (ALL my bros play it...) isn't exactly the most graphically intensive game, the A8 should do fine.

If portability is big for you, i would get an a8.

soyouz

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Hmm, thanks for the input.

I still think I'll go for it though, might play more demanding games. If the heat really is an issue, what can I do about it?

I don't need portability at all really.
If you know were I can get the A8-3500m could you please link me?

Thanks.

soyouz

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

Thanks, still looks like I'll be going for the 5750g one though, don't really want to go above my budget.

Just wondering really, what can be done if it does overheat?

Also might mention that the graphics aren't THAT important as long as the game runs smoothly on medium.

Thanks again to everyone especially WR2, really appreciate the help.

shibbyuk29

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
sorry mate, i just read this page and i am in the same situation

i wanna play starcraft 2 and street fighter 4.

now i've looked into some of the laptops i've seen here as my budget is the same but i might go for the DELL xps 15 base deal and buy an extra 2gb ram later, price is £549

reason being is i dont understand computers much lol but i know i5 is better than i3 and apparantly gt 525m ain't that much slower than a gt 540m, also i may wait to see if a discount coupon becomes available and choose the better graphics card. what you reckon guys? i neeeeeed a laptop. only websites i've used to search so far have been dell and saveonmylaptop.co.uk which has a nice page of confusing cpu's on its budget gaming laptop section.

shibbyuk29

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
not sure how to edit but i also want to add that review sites are a little iffy especially with the 5750g as i've seen a deal for an i3 but many reviews are of the i7, so obviously its amazing but its not within my budget