Looking for a decent gaming laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 24, 2014
Hello!

As said in the title, I'm looking for a decent gaming laptop as I'm almost coming into my senior year in college and need a portable powerful machine that I can game with from time to time. My budget is $1500. I've found these listed below and I would really appreciate it if you guys could tell me "Dude go with that" or "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING!". Thanks.

1. http://www.amazon.com/G750JM-DS71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IKF2H12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400981361&sr=8-1&keywords=gaming+laptop

2. http://www.amazon.com/MSI-CX61-2PC-499US-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00ISKS4A2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400981453&sr=8-2&keywords=gaming+laptop

3. http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-17/pd.aspx - the $1500 version

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

I'm glad you found your solution and was able to pick a laptop. Also glad Construkt could help swing you over to the Asus, which is the better of the two.

I am curious as to how Construkt aided you in deciding on the Asus. This whole back and forth forum between him and I was him recommending the MSI and why its better, and I explaining how/why the Asus was better? Unless him explaining the MSI just made you realize how much better the Asus really was.

chubbygamer1983

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
If your going to spend almost $1500 bucks on a Laptop I have 3 points of advise.

1. Take 10% of your budget and use it for 5 years of Laptop insurance.

If your going to spend so much on a computer you may as well insure it. It could be stolen, lost or be subject to accidental damage. Some people completely ignore insurance but then when things don't go their way they are out of pocket. It only takes one electrical socket fault which can blow up a laptops motherboard and everything else on it.

2. Be careful when choosing a CPU.

4th Gen Intel Haswell CPU's have over heating issues. Choosing a i7 Haswell could be your worst mistake in your search for gaming power. See which laptops can remain cool while taking on a heavy load.

3. Use a waterproof carry bag!

I'm sure all laptop users will run into this problem once in their life. You put your laptop in your carry bag and for some unseen reason it rains or someone accidentally pours water all over you. Your laptop either gets LCD damage or stops working.

Personally I would do the following. Buy some cheap $500 laptop with a Nvidia GT750m. Insure it and make sure you take all the preventive measures so you don't break your laptop.

Then buy a lightweight desktop for heavy gaming. Hook it up to 2 32" LCD's.

If I can't convince you to do the standard method then please Insure your laptop! All it takes is someone looking at your laptop and realising you have $1500 on show for anyone to steal at any moment.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Insurance doesn't cover theft. And for a good reason, you could say its stolen and just get a second one. The only thing that helps with theft is absolute notifier, which is like lojack for laptops.

~edit~ and asus does come with a 1 year 1 time accidental replacement as well, which is really nice. OP is looking to game and have his laptop be able to do so. A $500 laptop will not allow him to do so, at least not newer games. Plus with $500 desktop your gaming better on his final decided laptop anyway, he can take it wherever he wants, if he doesn't leave it out and walk away no one will be able to steal it. Insurance doesn't cover theft, and cheapest insurance I found was $400 for 3 years.

So $1500 budget is -$500 for cappy laptop, -$500 for budget crappy pc, -$400 for insurance on crappy laptop/or $1500 for beast of a laptop.