Looking for a gaming laptop - 1200$ budget

Creebles

Estimable
May 16, 2014
Hello people. I'm looking for a laptop that will allow me to play games as well as perform normal activities like Photoshop, Office, Internet and that kind of stuff. I already have a gaming pc but since sometimes I move and I can't bring it with me I need a good laptop (anyway I don't need to play at maximum settings but at least medium). I'd like a pretty thin and light laptop if possible. In the next three spoilers, I'm gonna include the questions from the form + the anwers. Also, in the last one, you'll find a comparison table I just made between the laptops I'm considering.
Thank you in advance
1. What is your budget?
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
1. 1200$
2. 15''
3. Full HD at least
4. I'm replacing my current laptop
5. I need at least a few hours of battery life (but it doesn't really matter)
6. I'm gonna play Arma 3, Battlefield Hardline, Crysis 3 and other games.
7. I'm gonna use Photoshop sometimes
8. At least 500GB
9. amazon.com
10. A few years
11. I don't really need it
12. I prefer Asus (ROG), MSI, Samsung, Razer
13. USA / Italy
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
7df075fc1792cd0856306b01ca4d4370.png

In your list, the ZenBook Pro won't do, screen resolution is too much for the 960m to run games on.

The Asus ROG with 4 gb of video RAM and the 128 SSD is liely the best pick of those, although that is a bit too small of an SSD to run more than a few games off at the same time.

You may want to get the cheaper models and swap the hard drive for a larger SSD or configure them with one. Difference between 16 and 8 gig of RAM in gaming use is not really relevant, 8 is plenty for a few years.

Creebles

Estimable
May 16, 2014

What about the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro VN7-592G-71ZL ?

Good specs but Acer reliability is iffy, they are a mid to lower end brand for reliability, although usually top on price.

Creebles

Estimable
May 16, 2014

@hang-the-9 do you have other laptop to suggest? Because I've been reading some reviews about the rog and they say the screen is too flexible. Also I love the look of the Zenbook so I'd like to find something similar.
Another question: do you think I could play decently with an i5 and/or a gtx 950m?

BadActor

Estimable
Herald
You can always use cloud storage, an external drive or add an internal mSATA drive if you need more storage. For that matter, you could pick up a 1 TB SSD and sell the original one and still be cheaper over all, plus it uses the 4 GB 960M.

Creebles

Estimable
May 16, 2014

The other day you told me 4k is too much for the 960m but what if in game I lower the resolution to FullHD ?

Quite a few gaming laptops here, I sorted by the 960m video card which is a budget laptop gaming card, about mid-range but still cheap for a gaming system. http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-gaming-laptops-ct-118-96-98.html#!/p=clear&graphicscard=71