Looking for a good durable computer under $600

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013
I have had a terrible time with my Sony E Series laptop and after I get my refund I would like to get a decent computer that has a strong, sturdy build. I just would like at least a decent i3 processor or a6 processor I'm not looking for a hard core gaming machine. The one I found and was most impressed by is:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/probook-15-6-laptop-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-metallic-gray/1305808285.p?id=mp1305808285&skuId=1305808285&st=hp%20probook&cp=1&lp=1#tab=buyingOptions

I have used an older version of the probook before and I was impressed by it's strong build. I looked at the Dell Latitude, but the price for the parts you were getting was kind of bad. I'm open to any suggestions, it can be an online purchase or in store purchase.

If this helps:
I live in California
I would like to order either from a manufacture's site or sites like bestbuy, amazon, newegg
If I order online.
To sum up I would like suggestions on a strong computer, in terms of build quality. I would prefer a 15inch screen but 14 is ok. I want something that takes a lot of damage and can stand up.

Solution
as far as components the a10 series is the best mobile processor amd makes. the monitor/hard drive/oem motherboard are all pretty standard. the memory is speed is 1600 which will speed up your processing power. battery life is a 4 cell not a six cell so it says it will last 5 hours but realistically more around 3 hours, not a problem if you can charge it regularly. the laptop case itself is pretty standard plastic with black matte finish. it also has blutooth and a sd card reader and the onboard graphics will be enough to run games better than intel hd graphics if you would like to keep that option open. will it stand up to being dropped or spills...No but hardly any laptop will.

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013

Mostly for schoolwork and maybe some really really low end-gaming, but gaming isn't a priority. I want a strong school computer because I have a decent desktop at home that I'll upgrade in the near future. I would like a 500gb hard drive but if there is a good deal for a 320 gb I'll do it because I already own a 320gb hdd and I was watching a video earlier on how this person took the computer I listed and replaced the dvd drive with a second hdd but used a ssd instead.

So to sum it up:
Use for school, browsing web, basic applications (Nothing intensive)
500gb hdd (will go less if deal is good enough)

Bad_Kitty13

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
here i found some beauties

touch screen haswell I3 2.4ghz 6gb ram 1tb hdd integrated graphics
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313728

haswell i5 1.6ghz 6gb ram 500gb hdd R7 M265 2 GB dedicated graphics card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314383

A10 5750 2.5ghz 6gb ram 1tb hdd 8650g integrated graphics
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312829

the first 2 are pretty new i would personally go with the last one it has a ton of storage and the a10 is a quadcore processor clocked at 2.5 and integrated graphics are enough to run most new games in medium settings. hope this helps amd good luck with school

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013

Thank you and the one that you recommend I looked at before. I was really interested in it but I wanted to look around more. My main concern is the build of that model. I know lenovo makes great machines but I'm wondering how will that laptop stand up to the test of time.

Bad_Kitty13

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
as far as components the a10 series is the best mobile processor amd makes. the monitor/hard drive/oem motherboard are all pretty standard. the memory is speed is 1600 which will speed up your processing power. battery life is a 4 cell not a six cell so it says it will last 5 hours but realistically more around 3 hours, not a problem if you can charge it regularly. the laptop case itself is pretty standard plastic with black matte finish. it also has blutooth and a sd card reader and the onboard graphics will be enough to run games better than intel hd graphics if you would like to keep that option open. will it stand up to being dropped or spills...No but hardly any laptop will.

Solution

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013

I was reading something about the HP i posted about in the beginning that it had a spill resistent keyboard. Now I know that laptops aren't going to take a huge drop but I want one that can take a good beating and pc gaming is really low on my priority list at this time. I'd rather upgrade my desktop for that. Although I would like to say thank you for all of your help and I will look into all of the machines you recommended.