Looking for a good laptop for school and some personal use

hamnat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
The title says it all...well...not quite...

1_What is your budget? about $600

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? irrelevant

3_What screen resolution
do you want? higher is nicer, but this is very low priority

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable to use in conjunction with a desktop

5_How much battery life
do you need? more is better, but as long as it's better than my current(30 mins) I'm happy

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I don't need to worry about this, got a desktop for such things

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) any kinds of designing...flash, html, C++, photo, etc.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? not very important

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? at least 3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? irrelevant, but it needs to be able to at least read all the disks out there :p

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I prefer Toshiba and hate both Dell and HP based on history of use with those brands.

13_What country do you live in? U.S.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed. Webcam is nice, though not necessary...DDR3 strongly preferred as well as dual core processor, any speed...3GB or more memory much preferred though not required...64-bit also strongly preferred...AND NO VISTA OR MAC!!!

klemmaniac

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
You're looking for about the same thing I am. Here's a couple I found...can't decide on which one is sturdier and could take more wear and tear while travelling.

Asus P50IJ-X1 available on newegg
Samsung R522-FA02US available through best buy
Gateway NV5425u available on newegg

All are under $600 at the moment and are similar in specs. Perhaps one of them will tickle your fancy.