Looking for a great system

Solution

If you are going to be using regular speakers, I don't suggest a sub with those, since the larger drivers will be enough for the bass and it will be tougher to match the sound to them.

If you want small speakers to save space or to hide them, then you'd want a sub.

Just go into an audio store and listen to things, everyone likes different sounding systems. For example people love to buy Bose stuff, but I don't like how their speakers sound at all. You make like it, but I won't recommend them to you, so you need to go and listen to a set.

I'd avoid the mass market stuff like Sony, Panasonic for speakers though, Infinity, Polk, AR are nice, you can get Klipsh in your...
you are forgetting some of the basics:

-what country are you from. products vary by country.

-what is your budget. options vary by price.

-what use is this for and what devices are you hooking up to.

without basics we could give (as ht9 stated) quite a few recommendations which might not work. you need to give us some info if you want a better answer.

If you are going to be using regular speakers, I don't suggest a sub with those, since the larger drivers will be enough for the bass and it will be tougher to match the sound to them.

If you want small speakers to save space or to hide them, then you'd want a sub.

Just go into an audio store and listen to things, everyone likes different sounding systems. For example people love to buy Bose stuff, but I don't like how their speakers sound at all. You make like it, but I won't recommend them to you, so you need to go and listen to a set.

I'd avoid the mass market stuff like Sony, Panasonic for speakers though, Infinity, Polk, AR are nice, you can get Klipsh in your price range also and those have more bass than some others. You may even like how the Sony and other brands like that sound like. Since it's all personal with what you like to hear, you may like a $100 set of speakers more than some $400 set we would recommend. For a reciever, it's a lot harder to tell the differences, so you can pick almost any known good brand like Sony, Yamaha, Onkyo, JVC, etc.. For a regular run of the mill reciever/amp, look for a low THD level, once you get to high end stuff, that THD level is not as important as the sound of the amp itself. In cheaper stuff the THD level can be a quick guide as to how good the amp is at not changing the signal.

Any real audio store will have a room or several dedicated to speaker auditions with good A-B switches so you can click between the speakers and hear the same music from each of them.

When I was younger and really into audio equipment I would be in one of those places at least once a month listening to multi-thousand dollar speakers and amps, ads, Klipsh, B&W, Nakamichi (before they turned in to just a name for China made stuff), Advent, etc...

Solution
i personally use a klispch 5.0 set (quintet iv satelites) paired up with a 450w subwoofer and pioneer receiver. while true that not everyone likes the sound klipsch is known for it is true that they really do have nice stuff. if i had the money (and space) i would have went with floorstanders.

best buy has a selection of hifi systems in their home audio department. go down and give polk, infinity, klipsh and the other brands a listen and see what you like best and let us know. of course a dedicated hifi store would be ideal you might not have one in your area.