Looking for a high performance laptop without a High DPI screen. <$1100

deejaylobo

Estimable
Aug 27, 2015
1. What is your budget?

My budget is INR 1,10,000. Bear in mind, I've noticed that laptops here generally go for 30%-40% over what they would in the US. That is if one were to convert. So I estimate my budget would end up around $1100.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Over 14" for a traditional laptop. I don't mind going down to 13" for a 2-in-1.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1080! This is important. The applications I'm using(Adobe PS, Illustrator, AutoCAD, SketchUp) are not ready for the super hi-res screens. They look terrible and are near unusable without a fair bit of messing around. I found this out the hard way when I recommended a Lenovo Y50 to my brother.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

I need something to just about keep up with work when I'm travelling. Portability is not a big priority but neither is replacing my desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need?

3-4 hours would be great. Not a huge priority.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I'm not planning on playing games at the moment. But the option to with Medium settings would be nice.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

This will be for work when I'm away from my desktop. Mostly 2D CAD work, SketchUp and Photoshop.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I'm okay with anything above 256GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Amazon.in is one. Flipkart as well but you'd need to install their app to check prices.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

3-4 years would be nice.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Not a priority.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I currently own an old Acer Aspire 6930G. Things I didn't like about this one was the trackpad didn't feel great, and it would lose scrolling abilities every few months. Lenovo seems nice but Slapfish is disheartening. HP Spectre trackpads seem so nice.

13. What country do you live in?

India

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Basically looking for something with an i7, 8-16GB RAM and dedicated graphics. SSD or HDD with high RPM would be nice too. And above all I need to avoids the super hi res screens.

I've spent a lot of time researching and I'm at the point where I have paralysis by analysis. Would love for this community to chime in. Thanks!

deejaylobo

Estimable
Aug 27, 2015
@velo3100 forgive me, I'm not sure how replying works here. Lenovo Yoga looks like a good candidate for sure. My one concern is reports of touchscreen issues on the device.

Thank you for chiming in!