Looking for a laptop 800 USD or below

jomarrr

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
1. What is your budget?
- $800 or less

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
- 14-17.5' but I strongly prefer 15.6', I wont settle for anything less than 14'

3. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
- I really do not have my own desktop and I mainly use my laptop at home but I need something to bring if ever I need a computer impromptu

4. How much battery life do you need?
- 4 hours would be alright. I don't really mind the battery life as my current laptop gives me just 1.5 hours of battery life

5. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
- I rarely game on my laptop but it would really be nice if I could at least play some new games even only at low settings

6. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
- I use excel everyday, music, watch movies, do very light photo editing (really just make tiny graphics for some forum I update on weekly, not professional photo editing), I rather browse very heavily like 10-15 tabs open at times.

- I will use my laptop mainly for entertainment, browsing and MS office, Games, probably if possible

7. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
- Not lower than 500 GB. 500 GB is enough but the higher the better

8. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
- n/a

9. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
- 4-5 years

10. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
- DVD ROM/Writer would be enough. I don't use Bluray.. for now but I'm not going to use them anytime soon

11. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
- I really prefer ASUS or Lenovo, but anything will do except for HP

12. What country do you live in?
- Philippines

13. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
- My current laptop lags while watching 1080p mkv movies and I'm really annoyed with that fact. I hope the suggestions could play them lag free.

- Also I am leaning on Lenovo's Ideapad Z500 Touch (i5 3230-M, 4gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT740M 2GB DDR3) is this a good choice?

- Also are there Full HD laptops within my price range? Do I really need a Full HD Laptop?

Thank you guys!!

Solution

I don't think there's any requirement of touchscreen, if you don't want an ultra-portable (11-13 inches) laptop or a hybrid (Tablet/Laptop). But, its a matter of personal preferences. You will have no problem using Windows 8...

Dannar26

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I'm sorta in the same boat. I'm heavily considering a Y410P, as it's heavily discounted and is beefy enough to game with, although that doesn't appear to be a concern of yours.

Why not HP, I wonder?

jomarrr

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Hi guys! Thank you for your responses

Unfortunately, the Y410P is WAY beyond my budget. It costs P48,000 Pesos in my country (1,075 USD).

I really haven't tried Windows 8 but if you guys think touch screen is not necessary then I think I can live without it.

I'm also looking at this: MSI GP60 2OD-i5081 W8 SL | 15.6in. FHD, Core i5-4200M Haswell, 8Gb, 1Tb, NVIDIA Geforce GT740M 2Gb DDR3 VRAM, W8 SL - PhP 40,995.00

It's a little over my budget, though but I think I can still manage to get one (918 USD)

vinaykumar5320

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

I don't think there's any requirement of touchscreen, if you don't want an ultra-portable (11-13 inches) laptop or a hybrid (Tablet/Laptop). But, its a matter of personal preferences. You will have no problem using Windows 8 without touchscreen.

And, MSI GP60 is a good one.

Solution

jomarrr

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Thanks! I decided to just keep my crappy laptop and to buy a new one come later this year, probably during the second half of 2014 so I can squeeze in a few more bucks and buy something that would really last.