Looking for a laptop for digital art, streaming, and gaming! Help would be very much appreciated!

Red-Hime

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015
Hoo-ha-hey there!

My current laptop is on the way out. It's worked rather well for a few years now but it's time has come and I need a good replacement.

As the title states, I'm an artist so I'm looking for a good laptop (possible tablet combo?) that can support my tablet and art programs as well as streaming and gaming (primarily Steam and emulators)

This is my first time doing this kind of technology search on my own so any helpful advice on what I should look for or get would be awesome. Links to products you know of or suggest would also be awesome.

Here are some answered questions to help specify what I'm looking for:

~

1. What is your budget?
Preferably under $1000 if possible but I can be flexible

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I'm thinking maybe 12'' or more but I'm flexible on this too. A screen that has sufficient size for art and watching movies/tv shows

3. What screen resolution do you want?
The best that I can get

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I need a laptop that's fairly portable and not too bulky for travel. I'm also considering laptop/tablet combos.

5. How much battery life do you need?
I usually have it plugged in but a good amount for travel purposes would be nice

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I typically play games using Steam or emulators. I don't usually play online or massively popular games. I enjoy RPGs, point and click adventures, and puzzle/platformer games. Some examples are: The Chaos on Deponia Series (or anything by Daedalic), Child Of Light, Bastion, Braid, occasionally Civ, Evoland etc..etc..
High Quality is preferable but I can probably live with Medium.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I'll be using it with art programs like Sai and Photoshop. I also like to watch videos and listen to music. I use livestream programs like Procaster as well, and I'll most likely be using video recording and editing devices as well.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
1T would be lovely but I can go for 500GB or over as well.
Maybe even a little bit under 500GB but not too much lower (my current laptop has 232GB and it's almost full)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links
I've been looking at Amazon and Newegg but, again, I'm new at this so I'm open to other sites if they have what I'm looking for, or some good deals.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Ideally 2+ years. Since I'll be putting some money in this I would like to get as much use as I can for as long as I can.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
A DVD drive would be nice but it's not required.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm open to pretty much all brands except Macs. I don't like to use them and they don't run the programs I use. I've been hearing good things about Lenovo and Asus. My current laptop is a Dell.

13. What country do you live in?
The good ol' U S of A

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I think everything stated above pretty much covers it. Some other things I am looking for though are a touchscreen (if possible) and for it to be fairly light so it's comfortable to travel with.
A back-lit keyboard would also be a nice feature since I'm a total night owl and I usually end up working in the evening hours. A built in mic would also be preferable.

Hopefully that was specific enough.

Thank you for any help you can provide!