Looking for a laptop to run Maya, Rhino and Grasshopper

jhd088

Estimable
Sep 14, 2015
I'm looking to purchase a laptop that will suit my needs for a postgrad Architecture program. We will be rendering mostly on Maya, Rhino & Grasshopper.

Are there any recommendations for good, compact laptops with long battery lives?

I currently own a MacBook Pro that doesn't have the capacity and so I'm looking into buying the following MacBook Pro and booting half the storage for Windows 10 and the other half for my iOS needs. Would that be sufficient?

15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Intel Iris Pro Graphics + AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory

Solution
Very few laptops of similar specifications can hope to parallel the Macbook Pro in battery life. With the i7 quad-core in this model and the 16GB of RAM, you'd be pretty much set for your rendering applications. The PCIe SSD is a great touch too, though I expect this grossly bloats the price. If you can afford this laptop, and battery life is very important to you, then by all means get it. Do not render on battery, though, as this will reduce your battery's lifespan.

metalicgeek

Estimable
Very few laptops of similar specifications can hope to parallel the Macbook Pro in battery life. With the i7 quad-core in this model and the 16GB of RAM, you'd be pretty much set for your rendering applications. The PCIe SSD is a great touch too, though I expect this grossly bloats the price. If you can afford this laptop, and battery life is very important to you, then by all means get it. Do not render on battery, though, as this will reduce your battery's lifespan.

Solution