Looking for a laptop to substitute my current desktop for a trip

fbrem2016

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
Im planning for a trip, but cant carry my desktop with me. So I want to buy a laptop.

My desktop is a i7-2600 Sandbridge, with 3,4ghz. Its a quad-core. The motherboard is a gigabyte P67A-UD5, 16gb of RAM memory (I guess its at maximum). The sound card is a Creative SB X-Fi. The video card is a HIS Radeon HD6950. Theres lots of hard disks inside, dont known how much capacity I have, but I will use external hds for the laptop.

So far, I've meet, for the videocard, the 960m and 970m, but dont known for sure who would be on same foot as the HD6950. Especially for the 960m, I found conflicting results for tests on different sites, one (http://www.cpubenchmark.net/) putting a long way below the 6950, another (http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/) putting it more close, although still below (which is fair, since is a near mid-end, and the 6950 is a high-end card).

What do you recommend for me? Should I abandon my current desktop, which is obsolete (and occupies some space as well), and concentrate on a more high-end laptop, or buy a more mid-end laptop, since I dont plan to travel more than some three or four months?

Solution
The GTX 960m and HD 6950 perform nearly identically however the HD 6950 is no longer supported by the newest AMD drivers which limits its compatibility with DirectX 12, so in reality the GTX 960m has the potential to out perform it in newer games and the ability to play them.

Personally I would at least want an upgrade if I were buying new so if I were you I would try and get something 970m based to get a boost.

As for whether you should do it, thats up to how much you want to be able to carry your gaming PC with you.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
The GTX 960m and HD 6950 perform nearly identically however the HD 6950 is no longer supported by the newest AMD drivers which limits its compatibility with DirectX 12, so in reality the GTX 960m has the potential to out perform it in newer games and the ability to play them.

Personally I would at least want an upgrade if I were buying new so if I were you I would try and get something 970m based to get a boost.

As for whether you should do it, thats up to how much you want to be able to carry your gaming PC with you.

Solution