Looking for a laptop.

Retrix

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
Hey,
Im going to start 9th grade and I'd like to buy a new laptop for my next highschool years. The thing is, I'm having trouble finding the laptop that fits my needs. I am looking for a laptop where I can perform some light video editing,light graphic design, light gaming (tf2,gmod,minecraft) and is well designed for school use.

Lately I've been looking foward for the Surface Pro 3 i7 8gb RAM model (may get the 4 generation though though) as it is perfect for school,light and powerful but seems to be weak for gaming.

If you have any suggestions for laptops that would fit my needs please respond back.

Budget: max: 2000$

alsar88

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
best laptop for school is a light one. carrying a laptop around school while become more of a hassle the more it weights.
the xps 13 is a well all around laptop with the beautiful thin bezels. if you want to game though, there are few asus laptops that come with 820m-870m gpus and those can be used for gaming.
if you have the budget though, the razer 14 is a beauty.

Gaming laptops start about $850.... and the better they are at gaming, the heavier they are. Don't worry bout brand so much as, like PSUs quality varies more by who actually made it rather than who sold it. And no brands you'd likely recognize actually ""makes" a laptop.

Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu and NEC
Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP/Compaq
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
Inventec sells to Toshiba, HP and Lenovo
Pegatron sells to Asus, Toshiba, Apple, Dell and Acer
Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP

The other issue you face as all these resellers will give you a "name" CPU and GFX but cheap out w/ slow 5499 rpm HDs and bargain brand other components. If so inclined, you can avoid this by having a Clevo distributor build one to your specifications.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-and-reseller-info.91510/

CLEVO is a large Taiwanese computer company specializing in laptops. While the Clevo brand name is perhaps not widely known, their products are re-branded and sold by known boutique brand OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers)… notably Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, etc and before Dell bought Alienware, they were Alienware's supplier. They are also considered (by whoever knows about notebooks) to design and manufacturer the best of the best notebooks in terms of superior build quality and innovative designs.

We have ours built here:

http://www.lpc-digital.com/

Note the section on student discounts.... and try and get your OS from the school if they do that in your neck of the woods.

http://www.lpc-digital.com/notebook-review-members-military-and-student-discounts.html

Good example of what I said above....

HP Envy Touchsmart ... 740M GFX/ 5400 rpm HD will gimp that machine
Qosmio X75-A7180 .... 770M GFX / 5400 rpm HD as above

really gotta get down that list to the 9xx GFX / 7200 rpm Hds

The MSI and Asus ones will do that and they will run about the same or a little bit more than the custom built ones. Nice thing about the custom builts are you can but w/o OS which students can oft get on campus for $10-25.

Retrix

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014

Im not into gaming laptops because I feel like I won't be playing major games on it, so I think Ill go for the xps 13, but I still don't know which model I should get.

alsar88

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
i would suggest the i5, 4gig of ram with 128 gig ssd m.2. it sells on Microsoft store for 900 dollars. thats the best deal you can get on this device.
same modle is about 1150on the dell site, but 8 gigs of ram for 1200 (weird pricing).

Retrix

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014

Could I easily run Gmod,TF2 and LoL (and other light games)