Looking for a new headset

Bill Kentucky

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
I currently have a Gamecon 777 from my last computer build. It worked well since I didn't have a great sound processor, but I'm building a new skylake-based computer and went with a ROG board. One of their big claims was the audio, so I figured its time to get a better headset to take advantage of this better audio.
With the ROG boards, is it better to look at analog headsets with true 5.1? Basically, I want a headset that's going to take full advantage of my new board.

Solution
hd558 arent a bad choice for under $100. they are open so will leak some sound in and out but unless someone is within a few feet you shouldnt hear it unless you blast volume. the hd598 tan ver) or hd598se (black ver) have nicer pads and build quality if you had the extra budget. the 558 is the best bang/buck i'd say though.
even the best onboard audio is still around the quality of a cheapo $30 slot card. the rog boards are about equivalent to the xonar dg generally.

your choice whether you are interested in virtual 5.1, true 5.1 or stereo.

true 5.1 is not all its cracked up to be. you can hear the different drivers the audio comes from and its not a precise 360 scenario. also, with more drivers comes a reduction in audio quality vs units with larger single drivers.

virtual 5.1 distorts audio to make it seem 3d. while this generally sounds a bit more 360 its not without faults given the distortion to audio. one nice benefit is that virtual can be added to any stereo headphones which means you are not limited to headsets. generally this is the route i suggest (virtual) as its easy to turn off or on or in some cases crank it up by a percentage.

stereo 2.0 is pure unaltered audio. this is the best quality audio although depending on the game engine you may or may not have much of a 3d effect. you can turn a stereo headphone into virtual easy enough.

for starters, what is your budget?
must it be a headset or are headphones (or headphones + mic) an option?
are you opposed to an amplifier if you need one?
open or closed? open is suggested for soundstage (how 3d audio sounds) but leaks noise in/out while closed blocks noise in/out with small soundstaging

Bill Kentucky

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

Budget- I'd like to keep it under $100, but if there's something slightly more that's way better I wouldn't oppose it.

-Headphones are fine, i dont need a mic. I really just want whatever will produce the best audio for an immersive game play.

Amp- depends what it is I guess: Size, location, power, cost, ect will probably be the determining factor.

Open/closed does not matter as long as the noise spilling out isn't that loud. The reason for the headphones to begin with is to not wake others while gaming. My gaming rig is in the downstairs family room while bedrooms are upstairs, so some noise is fine (just not the level of speakers).

Bill Kentucky

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Looking at this from a different perspective, if I could dedicate a small room (say 8' x 10') to a computer room - Would a good set of headphones be better or worse than an equally priced 5.1 or 7.1 surround speaker setup?

depends on your preferences honestly. both speakers and headphones have good and bad points. if you want a decent 5.1 i'd spend a bit more than your headphone budget though as what you will get for around $100-200 is generally only average at best for 5.1 and headphones will be better.

what will sound GREAT for that budget?
headphones (dt770, dt990, etc)
2.0 powered speakers (mackie cr3/cr4, m-audio av30/av40, micca pb42x, etc)
2.0 passive speakers + amp (pioneer bs22, micca mb42x, etc)

what will sound acceptable?
5.1 pc speakers or similar (logitech z906 or similar creative sets)

if you want something "good" for entry level 5.1 home theater i'd suggest at least around $450-500 to work with. you can get a sony 5.2 receiver for $170 or so and the energy take classic 5.1 take or copycat monoprice 10565 for $300 or so (or klipsch hd theater for similar price). that a decent setup for on the cheap that you should be happy with. there are speaker sets for around $200 you could use as well but its worth spending the little extra.

that what i do myself.. pictures in signature.. i have a receiver and 5.1 setup hooked up to pc and ps3. its GREAT and i wont trade it. i do have headphones but honestly headphones lack the freedom of movement you have with speakers.

if you plan to record video and talk into a mic.. you want headphones or have your speakers muted or low while you do.

Bill Kentucky

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
This will be for a dedicated gaming pc only. I have an expensive home theater setup already (all klipsch premium series speakers).
Im looking for something that will provide an immersive gaming environment that is separate from my home theater as I often use my pc while others are watching tv or while they're sleeping (and I don't want to wake them).
Thats why I was looking at a good headset first, but i could sound proof a small room enough that a smaller 5.1 setup wouldnt interfere with the tv or sleeping of others.
But I also want something that's going to make me 'feel' as though I'm in the game, which I dont see a 2.0 setup allowing.

for an immersive experience, headphones are the cheaper option.

things like the z906 or z506 are fine but do realize they arent going to sound as nice as your klipsch setup and likely not as good as $200 headphones.

i'm also using some klipsch - quintet iv's paired with a 450w sub. nice treble clarity on them.

Bill Kentucky

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

Yeah, my Klipsch sound amazing. I'm really glad I went with them.
The only issue with them is that you can hear them throughout the house. Not good for when everyone else is sleeping!

Bill Kentucky

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Pulling the trigger today.
Just want to make sure I'm following the best recommendations.
Under $150 and looking for the best option for immersive gaming (rpg, mmo, etc type games).
Does HD558 get the vote?

hd558 arent a bad choice for under $100. they are open so will leak some sound in and out but unless someone is within a few feet you shouldnt hear it unless you blast volume. the hd598 tan ver) or hd598se (black ver) have nicer pads and build quality if you had the extra budget. the 558 is the best bang/buck i'd say though.

Solution