Looking for a new TV

powerkiteman1

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Hey guys,

I could use some help on picking a TV. We have an old 40" plasma that has stripes going up and down as we watch... It's time for a new one. The space for it to fit is 4ft tall and 78 inches wide. That being said we want something in the 65" range. Preferably no more unless it's cheaper.

We have direct TV and watch quite a bit of HBO and other movie channels as well as Netflix. I just went to best buy and looked at the 4k and 4k UHD TV's and they were amazing. However I know that what they showed me there was recorded in 4k and what most services broadcast are not 4k.

Is 4k worth it? I would rather replace what I have now with something a little advanced so in a few years it will be good to go. How long do these TV's last? My plasma lasted close to 8 years, so I could justify spending what I did. With that said I don't really want to spend more than $1500. Finally, what is this about UHD, 4k, and 4k UHD?

Here is one that I found:
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-P652ui-B2-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B00SSXQOLU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks in advance guys.

FroMagnumXL

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
For $1500, it will be hard to find a good 4k, and there are some more technologies incoming to really round out the 4k TV's (Dolby HDR for example).

Unless you are looking to refresh all of your equipment, just get a good 1080p LED TV as those have sharply came down in price. You can go 4k in the future as that will surely come down in price in the next few years.

If you want to future proof a TV you can go 4k. Just make sure it has HDMI 2.0, and HDCP 2.2.

If you get that however you need to upgrade any home theater receiver you have to run HDCP 2.2 content through, and get a new bluray player that supports HDCP 2.2 (A PS4 or Xbox One won't cut it, it is a hardware upgrade). You need HDCP 2.2 because of the new encryption technologies that are coming with 4k content from content producers. Those encryption technologies will not work on anything that is not HDCP 2.2 from end to end.

powerkiteman1

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

I am kind of looking to future proof. However what would you say for the 1080p, looking for something that has some really crisp picture. and as for the 4k what would be a reasonable one to get?

FroMagnumXL

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
For 4k in your price range there is this one: http://shop.panasonic.com/tvs/all-tvs/TC-50CX600U.html

I am a die hard Panasonic fan because of their picture quality. They were great with plasma's, and their LED's are looking very impressive. Their smart TV software has been rough in the past but it has improved dramatically with Firefox OS. This one isn't the top of the line but it is a very solid TV from what I have read on it.

FroMagnumXL

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
Just found this one too http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN60JU6500-60-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B00TWFHU7U/

Pretty future proofed, right in your price range, good features, good size for the price. I know it is not quite the 65" you want but that is hard to get a good 65" 4k at that price.

powerkiteman1

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

That's a good price, I wonder why they don't have any other sizes. What's the benefit of that over the 60" samsung?

FroMagnumXL

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
I can't say much aside from price, I can't find very detailed specs from Samsung on color space which is the only differing factor I am seeing, the Samsung does have more ports though.

powerkiteman1

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

Yeah, I'll look around a bit more.

TRENDING THREADS