Looking for a NON-widescreen laptop

Nama-skar

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Yes, I said non-widescreen laptop. I used a friend's widescreen for a couple days and I wanted to throw it under a bus and then jump in front of it to end my suffering. Could anyone please tell me what were the later model(s) Dell or HP laptops that had the old non-widescreens? I tried contacting both Dell and HP and they were completely clueless. It was as if I was speaking a foreign language.

I have an HP I got in '03 and want to upgrade to a later model non-widescreen laptop. I do not play games nor watch movies on it. I actually use it for work and school. I know this means getting a puter made in '07 to early '08 time frame. That is just fine with me. Thanks!

vermontcathy

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
In Nov. of 2007, I bought a Dell Latitude D520 that is 4:3 (non-widescreen). I hope to make it last as long as humanly possible. I thought at the time it might be the last model that was not widescreen, but I think I saw a 530 or 620 or 630 or something that was also 4:3. Good luck.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
I just checked newegg, they do not sell ANY non-widescreen laptops
you should try ripping the screen off of a laptop and bolting on a desktop screen, but 4:3 desktop screens are getting rare too

vermontcathy

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Dell Outlet has refurb and "scratch & dent" Latitude D520s and D530s for sale. Filter on screen size = 15" (not 15-point-something) to find them. I have a 520 and the 530s tempt me since it is probably the last 4:3 laptop out there, but it's just not enough of an improvement over my 520.

G

Dell Vostro's make two models that are non-widescreen. The 1010 and 1015, Hope this helps.
I'm actually researchind this for a customer as well

G

The last commenter is an idiot: Vostro 1010 and 1015 are both 16:10 widescreen. As far as I can tell there are no non-widescreen (4:3) laptops in production anymore. Your choices are 16:10 or 16:9. My lappy is 16:10 with 800 pix of vertical space. It's enough for me if get rid of as many menu bars as possible.

My main use is reading code/webpages but I use my laptop for watching movies, too, so for me 16:10 is a good compromise. I think you'll get used to it after a while and your only other choice is to buy an old laptop.

ihatewidescreens

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I've used fujitsu Lifebook S-series for 6 years now, and while they haven't updated their range in 2 years, they remain the place to go for professional business laptops.

I'm now looking to replace my old one, and to my great surprise find that they're the only ones offering 4:3 laptops. Not only that, but they are lightweight, and very much business oriented. That the range is a couple years old just means that the price is far lower than it used to be (they were top-range laptops when released).

Please, if you hate widescreens like I do, don't give in... the more non-widescreens we buy, the more that companies will take note, and hopefully a new competition of 4:3s will happen again.

... rotten, garbage, annoying wide-screens... what do they think, that ALL users watch DVDs on their laptops? And even if you do from time to time, is a black bar above/below going to hurt more than the lack of productivity widescreens give?

dougthonus

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I have a dell inspiron 1720

It's a 17 inch 4:3 laptop with a matte screen.

It's dying.

I'm besides myself with grief that I can't find a similar set up again. It's hard to even find 17 inch laptops with matte screens, and the 4:3 is just right out.

I presently have a 1440x900 resolution, but the 17 inch vostro (matte screen) only has a 1366x768 resolution. I'm going to lose 132 pixels of vertical space to switch, and it's going to suck. The other choice is to go with the glossy screen and get a 1600x900 resolution notebook which I won't lose any vertical space with.

However, I think the matte is more important than the vertical space to me since I use my notebook in natural light all the time.

It blows my mind that somehow people all think glossy widescreens, particularly with notebooks, are where it's at. I mean to me they are so obviously inferior that it simply blows my mind that anyone would think otherwise.

Oh well, I guess I'm screwed.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
no-widescreens aren't made anymore, everyone has switched to 16:10

however, HP might have a couple on their website, probably small laptops or tablets though

G

Seems that other people want to get 4:3 laptops back, too: http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/BringBack43Laptops/

G

I have an old DELL Inspiron 2200, and have always been happy with the screen, although I had been told how wonderful modern screens are. My DELL is a 15 inch 4.3 screen, and I recently bought an HP 6910p 14.1 inch laptop, because my old one runs slowly sometimes. I got a good deal on the HP. It is a very powerful machine, and the screen is very bright and clear ... but, like many others, I just couldn't get on with the display, which was 7.5 inches high and 12 inches long, versus 9 inches high and 12 inches long. The loss of that height is really noticeable and I had to return the machine. I agree with everyone else here: the old layout is far more suitable for anyone who uses his computer for business. I didn't realise it would matter so much!

momboso

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Yes, seconding the petition to return to the 4:3 display aspect ratio standard for laptops:
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/BringBack43Laptops/