Looking for a performance subnotebook

Wyboud

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Hey, I'm looking for a notebook for college and some on the go performance. Here's the FAQ:

1. What is your budget?
900 Euro's ($1200)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
11.6, - 14 inch

3. What screen resolution do you want?
preferably something like 1366x768 or higher.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable with performance for some games.

5. How much battery life do you need?
6 hours min.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
WoW, COD MW2. I don't want to play them on low because you can't see much then :p. But I don't need to run them on high either. And no not even wow works with GMA 4500MHD, so please don't advice me a laptop with that.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Movies, MS office, Emailing, standard stuff.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I don't really care. I'll buy an external hard drive if needed.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I've been looking on Dell at the alienware m11x, but I don't really like it because of its design.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2 years~

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't need any.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't know much about mac, but I guess those are okay, just sooooo expensive, especially here in the Netherlands. Besides that, any brand will do. Just not anything cheap looking.

13. What country do you live in?
Netherlands

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
-

Hello and welcome to the forums
First of all,don't buy a Mac if you are going to game because you can find much better and cheaper options for gaming.
AW M11x is the best 11" laptop you can get, have you considered it ?

Wyboud

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Hey Maziar,

Thank you for replieing on my post.

I am not looking for hardcore games, just a bit. Most of it will be college work. I have considered the M11x but I really don't like the design, simply because I don't want to be known as a gamer which might sound weird. But imo the M11x has a certain look and status.

I think I'm gonna go with a mac but now I've got a new question. Will there be a core i3/i5 release of the standard white unibody macbook soon, or should i go with the slightly older core2duo?

If you find a laptop with any type of power that runs for 6 hours you need to let us know :).

The Alienware would be way better than any MAC of that size or price. As far as actually using it that is. MAC will include you in the club of people that like to sip six dollar coffees at Starbucks and talk about the environment.

If you are getting a Mac,definitely consider MBPs not MBs because they have better build quality and specs.
As for CPU,well no one knows when exactly the next MBP 13s come out but Apple usually updates their notebook lineup once a year.

Wyboud

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010

Thanks for replying again.

When I look on the apple store, the differences between the MBP and the Unibody MB are minimal, besides a memorry difference of 2 gigs, which I will upgrade IF I buy it. What is so different about a MBP when they have almost the exact same specs, but just a higher price?

Ref:

MBP 2.4 ghz core 2 duo, 4 gigs
http://store.apple.com/nl/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=OTY2ODExMA

MB 24 ghz core 2 duo 2 gigs (4 gigs 10xx euros)
http://store.apple.com/nl/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=OTY2ODEwOQ