Looking for a portable power source/station/jump starter to power up 2 active speakers and a xone 92 mixer

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2018
Hi friends,

I need a portable power source to connect 2 KRK Rockit 5 active speakers (each 100W Power Consumption) and a Xone 92 mixer. I want to DJ on the beach and I'm planning on doing this once or twice a week. Some people have recommended to use deep cycle batteries into a power inverter and then into the equipment and others have recommended to purchase a portable jump starter/power station. If I choose to use deep cycle batteries, any idea on how fast they'll wear off? Are they rechargeable or will they eventually go bad? If they'd go bad, how long for this to happen?

Do you have any suggestions?

Link to speakers: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rokit5G3--krk-rokit-5-g3-5-inch-powered-studio-monitor

Link to recommended power source: https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-XP2260-Instant-Portable-Starter/dp/B004EIAADG/ref=sr_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1525845462&sr=1-11&keywords=portable+power

Solution
"Deep cycle" battieries have capacity measured in Amp-hours, let's take common 55Ah auto battery. If you pull 55 Amps from the battery (theoretically), or 55*12 = 660 Watts, it will last for one hour. So, if your equipment draws 300 Watts, it will run for two hours. If you need longer runtime, you have to connect several such batteries in parallel.

I would start with getting a Kill-A-Watt meter, and checking what power you need.
"Deep cycle" battieries have capacity measured in Amp-hours, let's take common 55Ah auto battery. If you pull 55 Amps from the battery (theoretically), or 55*12 = 660 Watts, it will last for one hour. So, if your equipment draws 300 Watts, it will run for two hours. If you need longer runtime, you have to connect several such batteries in parallel.

I would start with getting a Kill-A-Watt meter, and checking what power you need.

Solution

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
There are a lot of solutions, and variables here.

Some friends of mine used to run deep cycle batteries in parallel on an inverter. They also used a rather impressive solar panel on the top of their van in order to trickle charge the batteries, even while discharging...however it was not enough to keep up with load in their instance.
One of the major concerns you will have with an inverter is finding one that will not only produce the watts you want, but even more importantly, the Amps. Most of the cheaper ones on the market don't produce much of the latter.

It would seem that even a small portable generator would likely be undesirable due to noise. I had a Honda 1000W that was similar to the kind emergency response teams and the like use and it was SUPER quiet but not completely so.

Status
Not open for further replies.