Looking for best soundcard

Derico

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Im currently using the onboard sound from my Asus Rampage IV Extreme black edition mainboard. What soundcard should i get in order to future proof my rig for an amazing sound experience?

So far i've looked into the ASUS essence stx II and the asus phoebus. Am i looking into the right direction or am i missing some other superb soundcards on the market?

Derico

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Thanks for your reply. Yea, i was aware that the onboard sound was quite decent. Was just wondering, if i could step it up with a real soundcard. Would you say the Xonar Essence STX II would be a very noticeable improvement?

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
what speakers or headphones are you using. depending on what you're running, there's a strong possibility, you wont notice a sound quality upgrade, even if you buy a 200 dollar sound card.

Derico

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Planning on buying the Phillips Fidelio X2 and pairing them up with either an Asus Phoebus or Essence STX II card. Any thoughts?

theLeggo

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

The Fidelio X2 wouldn't pair that well with the Xonar Essence STX due to it having an output impedance of 10 ohms, and the Fidelio being a sensitive headphone at 32 ohm it will only bloat the bass. Honestly, you should wait and try out just your motherboard sound first and see if you are happy with that.

I have a pair of Fidelio X1, with a little dot tube amp and little dot solid state amp, and the most important part is the DAC to make them sound good.

Derico

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Thanks for the info. I've read that the essence STX II lets you adjust the impedance, though ?!

theLeggo

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

The STX II does have different gain settings. I just think you should try the Fidelio X2, since it is not hard to drive, first with your mobo and see if you think that is good before spending 300.