Looking for correct adapter. :-)

Jeffery Yew

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014
Hello guys, can I buy a 19V and 4.6A AC power adapter for my laptop with original adapter of 19V and 4.74A? I know a lower current output will cause side effect on laptop, but will a lower of 0.1A acceptable?

Thank you guys

Solution
It depends, but I would call it safe (with reserve). Most adapters are built with overprovisioning in mind, meaning that they can usually supply more amperage than the device can draw from it. So, it all depends on the max current your laptop can theoretically draw, but as I said, it is *usually* lower. The lower the power draw, the better. Worst case scenario for you would be continuous 4.7A draw which would burn the adapter, but likely nothing more. Make sure that the polarity of the jack (laptop side) of the adapter is right - some of them have inverted minus and plus! Check your original one and compare.

herrwizo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
It depends, but I would call it safe (with reserve). Most adapters are built with overprovisioning in mind, meaning that they can usually supply more amperage than the device can draw from it. So, it all depends on the max current your laptop can theoretically draw, but as I said, it is *usually* lower. The lower the power draw, the better. Worst case scenario for you would be continuous 4.7A draw which would burn the adapter, but likely nothing more. Make sure that the polarity of the jack (laptop side) of the adapter is right - some of them have inverted minus and plus! Check your original one and compare.

Solution