Looking For Decent Amp(s)

Daniel Johnson

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Ok, so I'm attempting to hook up 4, 50-watt bass shakers to my office/gaming chair via a bluetooth receiver and an amplifier for feedback while gaming the way a controller for a playstation or xbox shakes, but much stronger. The only problem I'm having so far is finding a good amp for this project.

I can either use one amp capable of 200-watt rms, running 2 bass shakers on left and 2 on right, or I can use 2 amps, each of at least 100-watt rms, sending the left signal to one and the right signal to the other.

These bass shakers are 4-ohm each, so the amp needs to be capable of either 8-ohm (subs in series) or 2-ohm (subs in parallel).

And as I've stated already, this is going to be used for an office/gaming chair indoors, so I don't think car amplifiers would work, it needs to be able to plugged into a standard American power outlet.

A variable crossover/low pass/high cutoff on the amp is preferred as well, since low frequencies are best at creating vibrations.

Any help is very appreciated, thank you guys.

Daniel Johnson

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Would the SMSL SA-98E 2 * 160W TDA7498E stereo digital amplifier be able to handle at least 2 of the 50-watt 4-ohm bass shakers?
Or would the SMSL SA-160 160WPC Digital Amplifier do a better job of this?

And, would purchasing a larger power supply have any added benefit for either amplifier? I know it can help certain amps.

Also, would a small cheap pre-amp like the BEHRINGER XENYX 302USB have any added benefit, since I'll be filtering out all of the audio above about 200Hz anyways via a low pass filter?

Thanks guys

Daniel Johnson

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Well, I think I've figured it out finally after several days of searching and research.
I think my setup will be sending the audio signal from the PC's USB Bluetooth USB adapter to a Bluetooth receiver, which then sends the signal via a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable (which has a left and right obviously), but I'll use a 1-female to 2-male RCA Y-splitter connected to each, effectively giving me 4 RCA cable connections, 2 left and 2 right. Each one will be plugged into its own 100Hz RCA-style low pass filter, which in turn will be plugged into their own SMSL Q5 Amplifier, which provides a maximum of 50 watts output @ 4ohms, in the appropriate input port, giving me 2 amplifiers for left and 2 amplifiers for right. Each amplifier will power its own 50-watt 4-ohm Aurasound tactile transducer, giving 2 for left and 2 for right, via 16 gauge speaker wire. And all of this will be mounted on the bottom-side of an office chair for tactile feedback while gaming, except 2 of the tactile transducers will be mounted on the back of the chair. Also, all power connections will run to the back of the bottom of the chair to a 6-way outlet adapter, which will be powered via a single extension cord from any standard outlet.

I'm still unsure whether or not a larger power supply would provide any benefit for these particular amps, but I don't think it will be necessary. And I'm almost certain a pre-amp mixer is virtually useless for this application.