Looking for decent priced laptop - preferably lightweight

shyam09

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
I gave my dad my 2010 13" Macbook Pro, so I'm looking for a laptop now. I don't want to spend as much - keeping my budget in the $500-$600 (max would probably be $650, including taxes - I'm in California, so either coupons at Staples or Best Buy or buying at a tax-less place like BH Photo...)

I don't really use laptops for gaming or video editing -- I leave that to my desktop. My main use for a laptop would be web browsing, writing stuff, movies/videos, etc. I don't use a laptop all too much unless of course I'm travelling or am out of the house for a large part of the day.

I'm just left a bit confused over what laptop I should be getting (since I'll be sticking with it for roughly another 4-5 years). I'm really intrigued by ultrabooks, but those are fairly expensive and the only worthwhile one I've noticed is the recent Dell XPS 13", but the lowest I could find is $830 w/ no taxes.

Are there any recommendations for laptops? I'm just browsing around right now; I might end up buying during Labor Day weekend or wait a bit longer -- but I'm trying to find out some good laptops to look at. I don't want an Apple product, I'd much rather prefer Windows. I'm hoping for a high res. display for a 13" / 14" laptop.

If it helps any, I can get student discounts too.

rhysiam

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
It's pretty hard to go past the Asus UX305 if your budget can stretch to it.

The CoreM is hardly the fastest processor, but it's got a proper 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM and a (not terrible) IPS 1080P screen which is basically unheard of for other laptops in its price range.

Anandtech reviewed it here if you're interested (it turns out I almost quoted a part of teh conclusion of their review above... but I wrote my bit first I promise!): http://www.anandtech.com/show/9104/asus-zenbook-ux305-review/7

It'll be around the very top end of your budget, but if you want a portable general-purpose ultrabook like laptop, it's pretty hard to beat IMHO.