Looking for gaming laptop under $600

killa28

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
1. What is your budget?
$600 or less

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6 inch or larger

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Not important

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Not Important

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not important, will be near A/C most all times

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Dead Space, Dead Space 2, Duke Nukem Forever, Crysis (if possible) etc all on low or medium settings with out FSAA or any of that really intensive settings unless the laptop can handle them

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
mp3 playback, dvix playback, web browsing etc (mostly basic use other then gaming)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
at least 320 GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Not important

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
at least two years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
not important, external burners are cheap

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
no gateway or compaq laptops, they are garbage

13. What country do you live in?
USA

killa28

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
I have looked at a very similar laptop with the same gpu and was hoping I may find one that has its own ram for the gpu. That laptop looks good for the price but I honestly wonder how well it will hold up seeing as how the processor overcloxks itself to get decent speed.

I don't believe the turbo mode is available when the IGP graphics get full power while 3D gaming. And at full turbo speed (with low IGP demand) it has a couple cores shut down.
That's all part of the thermal management as Llano balances GPU and CPU resources to fit within the chip’s TDP.

Here is the $600 model without the Blu-Ray player: Toshiba Satellite L775D-S7226

If you want to look at an A8 APU model with Radeon HD 6620G IGP plus HD 6650 discrete graphics card - you're talking about something like the HP dv6zqe and it's A8-3500, 6GB RAM, 640GB 7200rpm HDD, and 15" 1920x1080 LCD for about $700.

At that price the competition is a $680 Sandy Bridge i5-2410 with HD 6650M graphics card. It doesn't have a 1920x1080 display but it will have better gaming performance.

killa28

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
So what kind of fps would I get if I ran say dead space 2 on 1024x768 with most ot all of the features at he min settings? I can turn them up one by one to find the best trade off. I am askinh for the toshiba laptop btw.

killa28

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
The specs I configured are listed below for $554.99 shipped. How does it look to you?

Color charcoal grey
Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
OS and recovery media System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual Core Processor P6200 (2.13 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Graphics card 1GB DDR3 Radeon(TM) HD 6470M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
Memory FREE Upgrade to 3GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive 320GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Office software No Additional Office Software
Security software No additional security software
Primary battery 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 4.25 hours of battery life +++
Display 15.6" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366x768)
Primary optical drive SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
Personalization HP Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone
Networking 802.11b/g/n WLAN
Keyboard Standard Keyboard

Your additional options:
Click edit to modify. NOTE: These items are in stock and will ship immediately.
Mice & keyboardsHP Wireless Optical Mouse, silver