Looking for Gaming TV

XiiD

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Hi All

As the title says I'm looking for a new TVs this will be mainly for my Xbox One and very light TV use. I might also use my laptop with it occasionally.

The two Models I am looking at are both £280 32"inch (5 Year Warranty included) - Smart TVs and seem to have a fairly good refresh rate. Open to any recommendations for other TVs would like to keep it under £300 and at least 32" no bigger than 42" and its main use will be Xbox gaming.

Model 1: Samsung UE32H5500

Model 2: LG 32LB580V

Thanks Damian

Solution
I think a FullHD TV will be fine for use with a console. This is what they were designed for.
I wouldn't use one of these TVs as a computer monitor at a desk.
The TV has a tuner and possibly other useful features.
I suggest you buy the Samsung.
If this is a little expensive, I have found HiSense to be pretty good. They are not as a good as Samsung, but they are cheaper, offer much the same features and offer a 5 year warranty.

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
The refresh rates you see advertised are created by interpolation.
The input signal is 50 Hz or 60 Hz, but the TV inserts other frames in between to smooth motion.
A 100 Hz TV has a 50 Hz input refresh rate and inserts one frame in between each real frame.
A 200 Hz TV has a 50 Hz input refresh rate and inserts three frames in between each real frame.
The refresh rate of these TVs is at best the same as a 60 Hz monitor.

In saying that, any 23 inch FullHD (1080p) TV should be ok for the job.
Samsung make the best LED TVs on the market.

XiiD

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

Would you not recommend wasting the money on a name brand then due to the above refresh rate understanding above? With the above reasoning would it be cheaper to buy a Computer Monitor with a HDMi Port - although I wanted the TV features also even if there only for light use.

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
I think a FullHD TV will be fine for use with a console. This is what they were designed for.
I wouldn't use one of these TVs as a computer monitor at a desk.
The TV has a tuner and possibly other useful features.
I suggest you buy the Samsung.
If this is a little expensive, I have found HiSense to be pretty good. They are not as a good as Samsung, but they are cheaper, offer much the same features and offer a 5 year warranty.

Solution