Looking for help on buying a tablet for my dad

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Hey guys,

Some of you may see me around from time to time, been a long time reader here.

Looking to buy my dad a tablet. I just don't know which one to get.

I was looking at the Microsoft Surface Pro 2's - they look really nice for what they are, I especially like the kick stand, SSD and integrated GPU.

First i'll list some requirements:

1) It doesn't have to be extremely powerful, but fast would be nice (SSD).

2) Budget is about $1300 preferably less.

3) He doesn't do much on his current computer, email, some very light gaming (think bejeweled), maybe some spreadsheets, light internet.

4) Want/need a good touchscreen with a high res panel.

5) Don't need much space 128-258GB is enough.

6) HDMI output would be very nice in case he wants to hook his tablet/computer up to his HDTV.

Should I be looking at getting him a tablet? Or maybe an ultrabook? Thoughts? Suggestions?

What about the IPAD air vs Surface Pro 2? Although I dislike Apple, I do not disregard their tablet software prowess (and in some ways their hardware).

On the flipside I like being able to fix up his computer if he needs me to - so a Microsoft product would probably be easier for me to do so.

I'll be around, but I will be busy until Monday.

Solution
If he does not do much with his current PC I would assume he will not do much with a laptop either.

I would recommend a tablet that is small enough for him to carry around and use it when need be. Perhaps something like an 8" Dell Venue 8 Windows 8.1 tablet. Good for reading, watching videos on the go, typing some emails. It even comes with a student version of MS Office. There is also an optional digital pen for drawing, painting, or writing notes. Listed for $299 for the 32GB version, but I just saw it today for $269 on Amazon. However, no mini-HDMI port to output to monitor/HDTV. However, I believe it supports WiDi to wireless transmit video, WiDi kit sold separately.

Here's a review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0v77gSxLtI...
If he does not do much with his current PC I would assume he will not do much with a laptop either.

I would recommend a tablet that is small enough for him to carry around and use it when need be. Perhaps something like an 8" Dell Venue 8 Windows 8.1 tablet. Good for reading, watching videos on the go, typing some emails. It even comes with a student version of MS Office. There is also an optional digital pen for drawing, painting, or writing notes. Listed for $299 for the 32GB version, but I just saw it today for $269 on Amazon. However, no mini-HDMI port to output to monitor/HDTV. However, I believe it supports WiDi to wireless transmit video, WiDi kit sold separately.

Here's a review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0v77gSxLtI

Here's a "dock" / USB hub which can be used to connect to a HDTV/monitor and more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPPY4m8iY0k

Solution

g-unit1111

Distinguished

I'm probably going to get a Dell Venue 8 in the next couple of weeks. I can't afford the Surface Pro but I found a deal on the Dell that's too freaking good to pass up.

The Dell Venue 8 does look nice, but personally I am not tempted to buy one 'cause my 2012 Nexus 7 is fine for my current use. I will probably wait until next year to seriously look at replacing it. Intel plans on releasing both Cherry Trail and Willow Trail generation Atom CPUs next year. Cherry Trail is due in the 2nd half of 2014 while Willow Trail is Q4 2014.

Not sure what the CPU performance boost is suppose to be. Early guess is 15% - 20%, but I think I've read Intel wants to increase the performance of Bay Trail by 400% in 5 years. Need to research more. Cherry Trail should have Haswell GPU cores. The best info that I can gather about Willow Trail is that it will focus on GPU performance... so... Broadwell GPU cores???

sages

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
i am looking for someone i mean a business man or investor,where we can open up a very profitable business ..if you are serious ..you can add me on my skype is......... charles11_31
so that we can chat and get to know each other well thank you
Sir