Solved! Looking for how to scramble the data on my computer so that no can access, read or recover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2018
I have a Windows 10 computer and My friend would be taking that computer from me (I am buying a mac machine as i love working on apple). I cant delete the complete data or wipe it as I want to keep some files but on the same machine however i want to corrupt some of the files. I want to make sure that all the files changes to some unreadable format but they stay there as like it happens in a malware attack. I don't want anyone to know that it is changed rather would say that i don't know what happened. I am not doing it for any criminal activities or anything however want to test this thing as I didn't see any software or anything online which could do that for me.

Any suggestions and help would be highly appreciated!

Solution

1. Encryption, with something like VeraCrypt.
He/they will know there is an encrypted volume.

2. But possession trumps all.
Why are you giving him this system with...

USAFRet

Illustrious
You want to give this system to your friend.
You want to keep him from accessing your personal data.
This data needs to stay on that system.
You don't want anyone to know its changed, but you don't want it accessible.

Am I correct so far?

First question: Why?

Mar 8, 2018
Its okay even if he knows that it is changed but it should not be accessible to anyone or recoverable.

You are correct buddy.

Why? - He works for a government agency and I don't want to share my personal details with that as I did some crypto-thing lately on that machine. Its not like i don't trust him but you know how it is. Also I want him to know that there are files on the computer and I haven't deleted anything.

I was seeing some ransomeware which can do that for me but they even leave their traces and there is message which always stays there.

Mar 8, 2018

I dont want him to know that I deleted something

USAFRet

Illustrious

1. Encryption, with something like VeraCrypt.
He/they will know there is an encrypted volume.

2. But possession trumps all.
Why are you giving him this system with your personal data on it that you don't want anyone to access?
Simply remove the data, and save it for yourself.

Solution
Mar 8, 2018

I cant delete the information as he wants to check my information. I would have wiped the computer myself but I cant do that.
Is there any solution which can corrupt the data which i want to corrupt?

USAFRet

Illustrious

"I cant delete the information as he wants to check my information"

Then you have a problem.

And I think we're done here.
I have no idea of what you're trying to do or prevent, but this sounds incredibly shady.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
What do you mean he wants to check your information? If I were giving away or selling a computer, it would be on my terms, or no deal. I would overwrite all of the data 2 or 3 times (Acronis True Image, for example has this ability). Then I would do a clean installation of Windows, install drivers for GPU or anything else that needs them, then turn it over to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.