Looking for Kids Laptop for Minecraft / Terraria $200 - $300

wahooker

Estimable
Nov 17, 2014
I'm trying to find a basic laptop that will play Terarria / Minecraft and other games in that same range.

I've got to get 3 of them (Triplets) - So Budget is a big deal.

I'm ok with relatively poor performance - Right now they are sharing a 4 year old beater laptop with integrated graphics and not complaining (Or using the Kindle Tablet for the pocket edition)

I know that in this price range, something with dedicated graphics is probably out the window, but I'd welcome any suggestions.

Solution

Good enough for everyday tasks, but not good enough to play minecraft since the Intel HD (Bay Trail) graphics core is the weakest of all Intel HD graphic cores and with only 2GB of RAM that cannot be upgraded, very little of it will be allocated to the Intel HD (Bay Trail) core.

Additionally, 32GB of total storage is not much since Windows 8 will be using around 18GB of it and the only way to expand it is via a single micro-SD card. There is 1TB of cloud storage, but that is pretty slow compared...

wahooker

Estimable
Nov 17, 2014

Chromebook isn't an option for that, without reinstalling a new OS from scratch.

As far as a Tablet, wouldn't a tablet generally be more expensive than a laptop with similar specs?

Buy one good laptop for $800. Buy three swords for $100.

Tell them winner gets the laptop. You cut your food bill by 2/3rds and someone has a good laptop, and within your budget. Win-Win.

For that much to play Minecraft decently you can look into some used systems. My son was using my LenovoT420 laptop with an nVidia Quadro card and a Core i5 CPU and was complaining that it was running poorly, while made for business use, that was about a $1,000 laptop. There is a mod that makes Minecraft run better on low spec systems though, but I don't know exactly what it does to the quality.

blcskate

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I have three kids playing Minecraft all day too so I know the feeling. All of my kids use iPads for it instead of PCs. My one son is extremely into it so he has it on my laptop as well. It is actually a rather demanding game in the grand scheme of things. An old desktop we have cannot run it smoothly, but my HP envy runs it no problem ($1,200 machine though).

I would recommend having them try the tablet version and then buy three iPad mini (old ones) at $299. They will have a million other good games on the iPad and the interface is easier. My six year old built a theater, hospital, theme park, and haunted house on his iPad with no issues. He uses the PC to host his own server so his friends can play with him. He is my little chip off the old block :)

Good enough for everyday tasks, but not good enough to play minecraft since the Intel HD (Bay Trail) graphics core is the weakest of all Intel HD graphic cores and with only 2GB of RAM that cannot be upgraded, very little of it will be allocated to the Intel HD (Bay Trail) core.

Additionally, 32GB of total storage is not much since Windows 8 will be using around 18GB of it and the only way to expand it is via a single micro-SD card. There is 1TB of cloud storage, but that is pretty slow compared to a real hard drive and it is only for 1 year before you need to pay an annual subscription.

Solution

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Not necessarily, my Dell Venue I paid about $199 for. You can generally find full featured Windows 8 and Android tablets for around the $200 mark.

Chris Omegle

Estimable
Dec 23, 2014
Hmm if anyone try to sell you a ipad or phone to play with minecraft or terraria dont accept it,it is very bad to play with those,very old versions not only you whould waste money but have awfully old and bad version of the game.

Herostips

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015

Herostips

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015
You dont really need to buy a computer that is that expensive just look up how to install the mod optifine(that was the one you were talking about hang the nine)it stops things like high graphics particles monster spawn rates an so on other than that you need the computer to have at least opengl 2.1 to operate the newer versions and terraria can run on anything so nothing is needed. I hope that helps Peace-herostips

Jamie_15

Estimable
Jan 22, 2016