Solved! Looking for light laptop or netbook

decipherfreak

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
My hp pavilion ze2000 is getting old and frail (4-5 years old), and I'm for a replacement. I have a desktop, so this would be for mobile/school use. I'm looking for something 9-12 inch, long battery life, preferably something with xp. One netbook I looked at was the ASUS Eee PC 1000HE 10.1 in for its long battery life.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Batteries are rated in miliamp hours, or mAh. A measurement of how much charge the battery can hold (which essentially equates to output). When it comes to batteries, this is probably the most important information for you.

They may say the battery is 3 or 6-cell, but this really doesn't mean anything. What they don't want to tell you is the mAh rating. If you do your research, you should be able to find out what mAh the batteries are rated at for the laptops you're comparing.

Good luck!

ak22

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
What’s your Price range also what does your school work entail? If its just word processing and web surfing you need then the eep pc is great choice for a small laptop you could try the Dell Mini.

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009

For netbooks, the Asus EEE PC series is the way to go...

I would check out the 1000HA, 1000HE, 1008HA, and especially the 1005HA

IMO the 1000HE is a solid choice and the 1005HA is the best bang for your $$$.

Edit:

Just an FYI - The above netbooks are listed in order of release, the 1005HA being the most recent. (Took me a good half hour to figure that out). Asus likes to obfuscate their model descriptions for kicks.

Also, check out reviews on cnet and youtube...my girlfriend is buying the 1000HE. Even though the 1005HA is more logical, she didn't like the way the new touchpad on the 1005HA feels when she saw it at bestbuy (it has raised bumps).

Also, important to take into account. The 280 processor that the 3 most recent models boast does not do a whole lot for performance...Asus has yet to release a compatible chipset. I would wait until the do that before buying (they come out with new models every couple of months). I wouldn't be surprised if they have 2 or even 3 new options before winter.

decipherfreak

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Should I spend the extra 100 or so for the netbooks with 6 cell instead of 3 cell? Long battery life would be awesome, but it isnt absolutely necessary, and I could probably get down to 200ish I looked for a 3 cell.

creativename

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Up to you, what's most important. I value the 6-cell. Keep in mind advertised battery life and actual battery life are different. My wife's 1000HA says 7 hrs on a 6-cell, but reality is around 5 hrs. It's sometimes nice to not have to worry about that for long periods of time. Not sure what the more recent 3-cell netbooks get. I second the others and suggest a 1005HA

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Batteries are rated in miliamp hours, or mAh. A measurement of how much charge the battery can hold (which essentially equates to output). When it comes to batteries, this is probably the most important information for you.

They may say the battery is 3 or 6-cell, but this really doesn't mean anything. What they don't want to tell you is the mAh rating. If you do your research, you should be able to find out what mAh the batteries are rated at for the laptops you're comparing.

Good luck!

Solution