Looking for my first laptop (primarily (but not limited to) college use)

SirKirby117101

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014
1. What is your budget?
Around $1000 would be optimal, a bit higher or lower is fine though.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I will be carrying it too and fro across a sizable campus. I'd prefer for it to not be the size of my desktop, thank you.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
To be honest, I'm not particularly picky (nor knowledgeable) here, I would assume that a 1920x1080 resolution would be quite alright.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I will still have a desktop, but the ease of access without being utter rubbish is what I am looking for in the laptop I hope to acquire.

5. How much battery life do you need?
I believe a battery that was being pushed and could still last 8 hours would be what I am interested in.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
While this rig won't be intended for gaming use, I can't deny that I will possibly stray from that path. Low/Medium settings would be fine, but if it blows the price out of the range I have given, there isn't a dire need for it.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I anticipate heavy use of various "serious business programs" as well as multimedia (audio editing) programs.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
The larger the better, but I do have external storage. Preferably 1 TB. (Unless of course it would be cheaper to invest in a secondary external hard drive)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
N/A

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I would like to keep the laptop for four years/ longer.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I would think that a standard DVD ROM/Writer would serve all I need.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't have much experience with all the "powers that be", but I will take particular note of comments from users who are far more versed in the matter. When it comes to somewhat trivial things like "keyboard font a bit wonky" I won't be particularly worried. However, if there is a brand that could potentially handle portability better than another brand, please take that into account.

13. What country do you live in?
The United States of America

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I think I have stated all that need be said. N/A

Solution
I would not get a high end laptop with a regular Hard Drive. Go for one with an SSD. It makes all the difference.

As for a recommendation, this one looks nice. Asus is known for premium notebooks. It's got a powerful i5, a lot of ram, an SSD, full HD, and an 8 hour battery life.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/436557/Zenbook_UX303LA-DB51T_133%22_Ultrabook_-_Smokey_Brown_with_Corning_Gorilla_Glass;_Intel_Core_i5-4210U_Processor_17GHz;_Microsoft_Windows_81_64-bit;_8GB_?gclid=CKXO__z5h8ACFQGMaQod3KoAeQ

speud

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
I would not get a high end laptop with a regular Hard Drive. Go for one with an SSD. It makes all the difference.

As for a recommendation, this one looks nice. Asus is known for premium notebooks. It's got a powerful i5, a lot of ram, an SSD, full HD, and an 8 hour battery life.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/436557/Zenbook_UX303LA-DB51T_133%22_Ultrabook_-_Smokey_Brown_with_Corning_Gorilla_Glass;_Intel_Core_i5-4210U_Processor_17GHz;_Microsoft_Windows_81_64-bit;_8GB_?gclid=CKXO__z5h8ACFQGMaQod3KoAeQ

Solution

SirKirby117101

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014

Well speud, I thank you for your input. After a review of the specs, I do think this will be able to serve me quite well. Many thanks, and have a good one.