Looking for powerful laptop (i7 CPU runs too hot)

dddiam

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I am shopping for a laptop with a powerful CPU.

I am a fan of the Core i7 because of its power, but I do not like how hot it gets.

Is there a similar CPU that runs cooler? Which laptops use it?

Would prefer a model with a touch screen.

David D.

Solution
I am a fan of the Core i7 because of its power, but I do not like how hot it gets.
Fast CPU = Hot
High Clock Rate = Hot

Not all i7's were created equal.
Look at the CPU's TDP (Thermal Design Power).

Core i7-6920HQ This one is fast but runs hotter than this one: Core i7-6600U
The first is 45W and the second one is 15W. (TDP)
Personally, I'd rather deal with the heat than a slow computer.

Also, the heat produced by your laptop is also affected by a discrete graphics card if you have one.
If cool is really what you want then get one with intel graphics and a CPU with the name that ends with the letter U.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Fast CPU = Hot
High Clock Rate = Hot

Not all i7's were created equal.
Look at the CPU's TDP (Thermal Design Power).

Core i7-6920HQ This one is fast but runs hotter than this one: Core i7-6600U
The first is 45W and the second one is 15W. (TDP)
Personally, I'd rather deal with the heat than a slow computer.

Also, the heat produced by your laptop is also affected by a discrete graphics card if you have one.
If cool is really what you want then get one with intel graphics and a CPU with the name that ends with the letter U.

Solution
As dark_lord was explaining there is bassically 2 categories for laptops and their CPUs

The U serries laptops are designed for battery life and stay much cooler because they have lower powered CPUs in them. These laptops are great for everyday tasks, stay pretty cool and have good battery life. Now an i7 U serries is equiveleant to an i3 desktop cpu, they are a dusal core with 4 thread CPU with turbo core (usually bumping it up to around 2.8 ghz on demmand).

The HQ serries are more like their desktop counterparts (so an i7 is an actuall quad core + hyperthreading) and are designed for gaming or more demanding tasks, you can find these computers with dedicated grpahics and some with just the intel integrated graphics. These laptops are going to be thicker/heavier due to needing bigger batteries and cooling inside them and are despite that are still going to run hotter and use battery faster then the U serries.

So the first thing you need to decide if you need the performance of the HQ or not, as you are going to have the heat issue with the HQ no matter what.