Looking for reliable, good sounding wireless headset

HellsChicken

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005
....If such a thing exists!

I have a G930, but the thing constantly cuts out. So to get reliability of audio & mic, I got a wired headset - the Razer Tiamat 7.1.

Unfortunately, I wasn't paying close enough attention to the onboard audio of the mobo I chose when I later upgraded, and got one that doesn't support 7.1 over analog, and doesn't support Dolby Digital Live for optical. Since I'm a gamer, that's a problem.

So now I'm looking for yet another headset, and probably sell the other 2. I greatly prefer wireless because I have my PC set up by the TV so I can game on it (usually via XB360 wireless controller). From the couch, a wired headset won't reach. But if that's the only thing I can get that will sound good and be reliable, then I will.

A couple notes:
- When I say sounds "good", I mean I'm not an audiophile. I just don't want it to sound absolutely terrible. My Tiamat sounds terrible on this ALC892 card with only 5 channels plugged in (and I haven't been able to get it to sound anything other than tinny and horrible, even setting it to 5.1. Heck even stereo is awful. It sounded good enough on my previous machine. Argh!). So I'd rather not rely on the built in card - probably anything that does its own processing will be better than this.

- I have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless networks in my house, which I realize may cause interference...

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

HellsChicken

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005

My previous machine only had 2.0 ports. Even when sitting right by the machine, with the headset like 2 feet away with line of site to the receiver, I had constant cutouts. No different on the new one with either 2.0 or 3.0 (or even 3.1) :(

Mark_62

Estimable
Oct 15, 2015
This is so frustrating. I have the same issue. I really like the features and range of the G930 (even though they don't sound great), but it cuts out constantly. I'm sitting 2 feet from the dongle and it cuts out. I put the dongle on my shoulder right next to the headset and the connection still drops. I don't understand it. I'm sure I have lots of interference sitting 3 feet from my router, but my bluetooth keyboard and mouse never lose connection. My logitech M705 mouse doesn't lose connection. But my G930s and my Sony Wireless Stereo Headset drop constantly. I've tried on mac and PC; doesn't matter, the connection still drop. I've read so many reviews of wireless headsets and it appears that a gaming headset with solid wireless doesn't exist. I could move to bluetooth, but since I'm looking for over ear the options are very limited. From what I can tell, they either have terrible connections/range or terrible mics.