Looking for something decent at around $500

Yash Chauhan

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
I'm very unfamiliar with this price point. My old laptop fried it's motherboard so I am now looking for a new one at this budget. I assembled a powerful PC for home use and need this laptop only to take around to university, use it in classes for browsing/documents and then maybe some Dota 2/Hearthstone/Minecraft (low demanding games) on the side when I'm relaxing on campus.

I am looking for the following things:

1. At least 8 gigs of RAM

2. Minimal but sufficient gaming performance (the ability to run Dota 2 at low settings, 1366x768, 60fps). For reference my previous laptop, Asus Vivobook S400CA ran the game at 40fps with the same settings and was pretty cheap.

3. At least 13.3 inches of screen size (and a minimum res of 768p) so I can watch videos without bleeding my eyes.

4. I'd love broadwell for it's 5xxx integrated graphics, but haswell is acceptable. Something like an i5-u processor will do.

5. I'd love an SSD for Windows.

6. Weight isn't an issue but I'd prefer to keep it light and slim.

Not sure if all this is possible at the price point but I've heard stuff is always selling at low prices for clearance or on sale so I was wondering if you had any laptops in mind that fit this criteria.

Thanks.

Yash Chauhan

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

I wish I could buy that, but it's too heavy. I'd like to keep the weight under 4.5 pounds if possible.

here's something I was looking at, what do you think? Also, amazon seems to incorrectly list it's weight, there's no way a 13.3 inch transformer weights 6 pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-R7-371T-50V5-Convertible-Frequency-TouchScreen/dp/B00PY6WRVU/ref=lh_ni_t?tag=dealnewscom&ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A334XHS1C5Y12J

I would try and get a lenovo laptop as they are quite good for uni. Plus they may have discounts for you as a student so try at the uni website to see if you can find any good deals. Also the acer you mentioned is a good laptop if you like touchscreens and should be enough for you needs. Just remember to turn of the always on fan in the bios if it is not turned off already as I know that some acers have this.