looking for suggestions on new headphones/headset.

monkmith

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
noticed yesterday that my headphones are breaking so i'm looking to replace them.

i'm looking for wireless headphones, around $150, that would work well on my pc (for gaming and music) with a secondary concern for my ps4. i'm not really sure about output, the ones i have use an optical line but several models i've looked at appear to use usb.

i've seen 2 gaming headsets suggested around my price range, the Corsair H2100 and the logitech G930. and i've also read that its generally better to buy non gaming headphones and mix it with an amp. but i'm really not sure.

any suggestions?

Solution
for "on the cheap" something like the hd518 (neutral sounding) or ad500x (focused on treble and mids with little bass) with a fiio amplifier are within budget. both are cabled. the a500x is a closed design of the 500x with a bit more bass and less soundstage.

any of the 3 would work with console or pc though for console you might need a usb soundcard adapter (you will need about that subject) if you do not wan to hook up to your remote control with a 4pole to 3pole adapter.
if you're looking for wireless headphones, you're not needing an amplifier (as it would not work with wireless). there are a few wireless headphones you could use however you might certainly get better quality audio by going corded. if you want wireless it might be better to just get a headset.

if you want to go with hifi headphones, you will need to consider going wired. this will be the best quality audio you're going to get for the price.

for "on the cheap" something like the hd518 (neutral sounding) or ad500x (focused on treble and mids with little bass) with a fiio amplifier are within budget. both are cabled. the a500x is a closed design of the 500x with a bit more bass and less soundstage.

any of the 3 would work with console or pc though for console you might need a usb soundcard adapter (you will need about that subject) if you do not wan to hook up to your remote control with a 4pole to 3pole adapter.

Solution
the e10k is a digital analog converter (DAC) plus an amp. it would work for pc though may not work at all with console.

the e11k, e12, a3, e09k and e11 are all amplifiers only.

the fiio usb dac on the e10k doesnt work right with the ps4 (due to how it handles usb headsets). the exception to this would be the e17 which has a cable which can use the optical output on your ps4 so it should work fine. you can read more about that topic (e17 and ps4) by searching.

the e17 would bring you over budget though.

monkmith

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
ok so maybe the Sennheiser HD518 and a fiio e11k sound like a good mix? both seem to have decent reviews, though i'm still somewhat confused on how the amp even works. does it still input audio through the usb?

an amplifier basically increases the power of an analog signal so that it is strong enough to move headphone drivers.

even the controller output on your ps4 has a small amplifier built in, however its much too weak to power much besides earbuds and cheap headphones. soundcards for pc also have amplifiers built in. external amps such as i listed are just more powerful versions.

amps need analog input (3.5mm or rca red/white normally). for pc it would hook up to your headphone jack like you would a pair of headphones (it sits between your headphones and the pc). for ps4 you would need to either have it hooked up to your controller (via an adapter) or if you want it connected to the ps4 itself you would need a usb soundcard (you can google usb to 3.5mm ps4 for a working model) or you can pull it off hdmi or optical with an audio extractor. once you have an analog connection, just as in pc the amplifier would sit between the device and headphones.

what you would be using it for is to provide enough power to move the headphone drivers since the devices you will be hooking up may not be strong enough to power them (and if they do, may be to weak to have loud volume).

read http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ultimate-headphone-guide-articles-what-headphone-amplifier-and-why-do-i-need-one#X4jupeUbjxw0w461.97 as it may answer some basic questions.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker.htm may also be worth reading as headphones are basically small speakers.