Looking for the perfect laptop (top Kaveri APU?)

FrozenKiwi

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
Hi,

I'm looking for something with decent CPU/GPU performance, touchscreen at minimum FHD, ideally 14-15", not too heavy, and 6hrs+ of battery under use would be a huge plus.

Price is not a factor in the equation.

I've been looking at gaming laptops with discrete GPU's (Razor Blade 2014 etc), but this is primarily a work laptop, so portability and battery life are of equal concern. Work, however, is GPU intensive, and Intels gpu's just dont quite cut it.

HSA is also a large selling point. USB 3.0 is also quite important.

The upcoming Zenbook 500 (15", discrete GPU) seems promising, but I have no idea when it will be released.

I've been searching the interwebs for a while with no success. Have any laptops been released packing the top Kaveri mobile GPU's? It seems like AMD's offerings only end up in 'budget' rigs. I find this quite frustrating - the extra GPU bump from AMD is great, and the battery savings of not having a discrete GPU should be decent. Throw in raid SSD's, 9cell batteries etc... make sexy as sin, I'd snap that up in a second.

Solution
in all honesty, I've never recommended this laptop before, but its the only thing I know of that fits the bill.
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Computer-XPS15-8947sLV-15-Inch-Notebook/dp/B00I0F5SD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406817441&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+XPS+15
i've included a link from amazon just as a display and a rough price but basically the specs include:
3k resolution touch screen (3200x1800) with a 15.6'' size
quad core I7 processor
16GB of RAM, so it'll do all your work.
its 18mm thick so thats 0.65'' thick weighs slightly over 2kg (2.02kg to be exact) which is very light for a multimedia
costs around $2k.
runs a gt 750M from nvidea - I dunno what work you're going to be doing but short of rendering, this GPU will cover it.
not too...
in all honesty, I've never recommended this laptop before, but its the only thing I know of that fits the bill.
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Computer-XPS15-8947sLV-15-Inch-Notebook/dp/B00I0F5SD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406817441&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+XPS+15
i've included a link from amazon just as a display and a rough price but basically the specs include:
3k resolution touch screen (3200x1800) with a 15.6'' size
quad core I7 processor
16GB of RAM, so it'll do all your work.
its 18mm thick so thats 0.65'' thick weighs slightly over 2kg (2.02kg to be exact) which is very light for a multimedia
costs around $2k.
runs a gt 750M from nvidea - I dunno what work you're going to be doing but short of rendering, this GPU will cover it.
not too sure about the HSA aspect, that seems to be an AMD thing.
has 3 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2 and a HDMI port.
the storage is a massive 512GB SSD
an intel wireless ac 7260 (a very good wireless card)
and the main kicker, the battery life:
idle: 14 hours 10 minutes.
wifi usage: close to 9 hours (8 hours 50 mins)
heavy / gaming / max load - 2 hours 10 minutes
good luck

Solution

FrozenKiwi

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
Dayum, that is excellent! I'll definately check that out - thanks Dasulman

I'll wait and see if there is anything that drops HSA into an equation like that, but from what I've been reading I can't imagine it'll be topped.