Looking for thoughts on a new gaming laptop

cranrasp

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
Hello, this is my first post so please be patient with me. I really appreciate the help.

First, a little background. I have purchased 2 PCs and a gaming laptop from Cyberpower in the past and I have been happy with the machines, but with all the negative things I see posted, I am a bit wary of them even though I have had good experiences. I have priced a bunch of different setups and have found one that I think I like. I have a budget of around $1500-$1800 with everything included (OS, shipping, etc..) My current gaming laptop is at the end of it's days as I am having to run many of the games at low settings to be able to play with a decent frame rate.

I really don't know a ton about different types of processors and how they interact with the rest of the components, so I thought I would post this and see if there were any red flags or easy fixes that jump out at those of you that know this stuff...

EDIT: I'm thinking about running HDMI to my 60" TV and playing on that once in a while... is this thing capable and viable for that?

Here is the machine that I am thinking of getting at the moment:

It's a Fangbook III HX7-200 Gaming Laptop from Cyberpower that I configured as follows:

CPU: Intel® Core™ Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ 2.50 GHz 6M Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.50 GHz
FLASHMEDIA: Built-In 4in1 Media Reader
HDD: 480GB Intel 540s Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 560MB/s Read & 480MB/s Write [+30] (Single Drive)
HDD2: 1 TB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive
KEYBOARD: Built-in Keyboard
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3-1600 SODIMM Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: Mobile Intel HM87 Express Chipset Mainboard
MOUSE: BUILT-IN TOUCHPAD
NETWORK: Built-in Killer E2200 10/100/1000 Mbps Gaming Network Card
NOTEBOOK: CyberPowerPC FANGBOOK III 17.3" FHD LED-Backlit 1920x1080 Display w/ Red backlit performance keyboard with programmable keys, Built-in 720p HD webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter
NOTEBOOK_COVER: Fangbook III Cover
NTBK_COOLING1: LEPA V17 LPCP001 17" Laptop Cooler w/ 140MM BLUE LED FAN [+18]
RAID: Non-RAID Storage
SOUND: Supreme HD Audio w/ THX True Studio Pro Technology
USB: Built-in 2x USB2.0 Ports + 3x USB3.0 Ports
VIDEO: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M 8GB PCIe Maxwell (NB-FANG-207)
VIDEOCAMERA1: Built-in HD Webcam [+0]
WNC: 5th Generation Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260HMW 802.11AC, 867Mbps+300Mbps Wi-Fi + BT 4.0, Mini PCI-E combo (Included)
WTV: None

Solution
As far as power goes, the only thing I would advise you to look over is the CPU; I've not seen much on that particular model. Don't worry about having a Haswell, but look up some benchmarks just to make sure you'll be good. All the other hardware looks really great, so you won't be disappointed there. I see an HDMI and VGA port on the back of the laptop in the pictures, so it looks like you'll be able to use your TV as an alternate monitor just fine.

Other than that, just be sure to look at any reviews you can find, because they often spot the little things that become your pet peeves by the time you're ready to get a replacement.

PytSkee

Estimable
Aug 24, 2015
As far as power goes, the only thing I would advise you to look over is the CPU; I've not seen much on that particular model. Don't worry about having a Haswell, but look up some benchmarks just to make sure you'll be good. All the other hardware looks really great, so you won't be disappointed there. I see an HDMI and VGA port on the back of the laptop in the pictures, so it looks like you'll be able to use your TV as an alternate monitor just fine.

Other than that, just be sure to look at any reviews you can find, because they often spot the little things that become your pet peeves by the time you're ready to get a replacement.

Solution