Looking to get a new TV

Emelth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Alright time to upgrade my TV its an old rear projection one. Looking for a 50" - 60", mostly going to be used for movies in the living room. Looking to spend less than $1500 along with a sound system. I plan to learn how to stream my movies from my desktop to TV once I figure that out. I am located in the US so all store and websites are up for grabs. Looking for the TV to last me 5 years with great quality, not too sure about 4K since it is still new and not in its prime yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4K looks amazing for 4K content. For other content, no as good as the TV or PC or whatever you have hooked up to do the upscaling to convert a 1080p signal to 4K. My cable TV at least, still has lots of 480p channels and only a select variety of 720p/1080i channels, so the 480p ones look bad on a 4K without a decent upscaling. I have a 4K TV in my bedroom. Through my Denon Receiver with it's upscaling or running movies on my PC and using a bunch of upscaling algorithms helps, so 4K is a toss up if it's really worth it now. There is no real standard 4K media out there yet.

As for movies, etc, are you looking to hookup a dedicated PC to your TV or do you want to stream from Netflix/hulu/other sites and maybe some streaming from a shared PC folder? This helps determine if you want a smart TV or not.

How many devices do you want to hookup, etc?

Emelth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I dont do cable or satellite TV anymore just a waste of money. I was referring to a shared folder that can be accessed through the wifi. Exactly my thought process for the 4K content as well. As for devices BR player & maybe a laptop every once in a while. I've got a man cave that has my gaming TV that is hooked up to my PS4, Xbox One, and Desktop for shits and giggles. But for the living room TV probably 2 HDMI's would be good enough.

Emelth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to assist me as far as sound system goes I leave that all in your hands cause this is something I know nothing about. Which ever sound system works great is perfect for me. I am not expecting an actual IMAX movie theater sound system and I would like not to have wires running all over the place.

Mainly for movies shoot for a projector and a projector screen. How far away from the screen do you sit?

This right here is a fantastic 3d 1080 Projector
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824219229&cm_re=hd26-_-24-219-229-_-Product
This model features 2 HDMI, 1 will be your surround system and the second will be your computer.

Screen size is something that varies with all people but personally for movies it has to be big to get that real cinema feeling, even a 60" TV just doesn't cut it, but this is entirely up to the people watching and how big the room and distance from TV is.

I'm doing my best to try to find a 5.1 sound system but Newegg don't have any, could you recommend a webpage that have more things? :) Or find one yourself that fit your budget, my recommendation is a 5.1 3d blu-ray all 4 speakers being towers for better audio and a sub.

Projectors are nice if you have a big dark room for it and the space for a screen.

OP, how much space do you have for a TV?

Emelth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Not really into the 3D aspect of movies, Projector is not a bad I idea as well but my computer will be in my man cave not my living room. I would have to build a shelf for it to sit on though and since I am renting I highly doubt that will float. I've just recently moved from FL to NC so once I can find all my tools I'll be able to measure the distance and space I have. Here is a quick photo though, I think I may have to go for a 50" due to that TV hole area.

Looks like 10 feet to me, a HDTV that is 60" is perfect actually, but will it fit hmmm A 4k TV that size is probably going to cost you a lot more than 1500.

Would maybe a pulldown screen work, the projector doesn't have to be mounted to th ceiling, you will get a big screen, great image quality, cinema feel and somewhat hidden if you use a pulldown. If you are still unsure what TV to buy would you mind giving me a webpage to look at?

Is it possible to move your furniture facing the other wall behind them? That hole could make a perfect stand for a projector, just brainstorming here... :)

Emelth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Found my measuring tape its 48" long by 38" high on the inside, due to our big sectional there isnt much space to to move around that is why we had to separate it that way, to give the most space to walkthrough. Yesterday when I was trying to figure out how we wanted the furniture this was the best setup out of all the others.

As far as other websites, tigerdirect, amazon, bestbuy or any USA based stored.

So if you need a TV to fit inside that, then you're going to probably be down to a 50" sized TV without trying to mount it anywhere in there or put holes in, etc.

Emelth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

I may be able to fit a 55" TV just gotta watch width. I've seen a couple that are only 46-47" wide, I want to stay away from a "cheap" TV I want quality and longevity. I have read many reviews on Samsung and Vizio and hear great reviews on the M Series. There are just so many out there its hard to say which is better or which websites are reliable with their judging scale.

Emelth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Alright, just got permission for projector screen mount as well! So they are on the table only thing I need to worry about is how to wire everything and not have it spread out all over the place!

Emelth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Alright, so this is the picture of the living room facing out, if I get a projector it would sit on the counter which is 13.5 ft away, the couch is 10 ft away from the wall. How would I even do a sound system with this, probably wireless I assume?

The projector you can just hide on a shelf behind where you sit and it'll be somewhat invisible as for screen I recommend a pulldown not one with a motor, it's really cool but it takes too long and makes a lot of noise. There are also fixed frame screens that look a lot like a TV. Since you went this far and got permission for a projector and a screen I'm assuming this is what you want, please tell me otherwise if you still looking to buy a TV! :)

Edit: You added a picture. Yeah that is a great idea as for sound I'm not entirely sure!

Emelth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

I will go either route, I would like to find a 55" that is within the width measurement, just due to going with a projectors worries me a little for day time use. I put my man cave TV, a 46in LED, in that hole tonight to watch a movie with the family and the viewing angles were perfect with the couch setup. If I do go projector I definitely go with a pull down type there is no reason to go any other route, waste of money.