Looking to leave Verizon

Diesel71

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I currently have a 2yr contract with Verizon- a 2 line family share plan. Due to incentives (or lack thereof), data, etc I am looking to change providers. If I were to port our numbers to the new carrier within 30 days of the end of our contract, would I still get hit for the ETF?

Why I mention this is that several years ago when I changed from one carrier (Cell One- yikes!) to Verizon, when I canceled my contract during the last month of service, they did not charge me the ETF. I tried calling and asking Verizon but didnt really get much of an answer- maybe you'll pay a partial ETF, maybe not. Unfortunately I have been enrolled in online bill pay for years and dont have any hard documentation of my contract and there are no account documents available for viewing online (how convenient, because I know it used to be there, back when I had no thoughts of switching, but I digress).

If I have to suck it up and stay exactly until my contract date I will but I'd really rather not, especially with the promotion going on that we'll be able to get $100 off of each phone when we buy our news ones. (Although I guess it still is a net-gain if I pay around $60/line to terminate now and save $100/phone but who really wants to pay more if they dont have to?)