Question Looking to purchase a cellular tablet (Verizon)

Mar 3, 2022
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a cellular tablet for business use (self-owned business) that I want to be able to take anywhere. We use Verizon.
Obviously we all want to spend as little as possible, but I understand that you get what you pay for. I only need it to access the internet for our business, so it doesn't need significant storage/RAM/etc. Just looking for something reliable that'll get the job done. Thanks for your recommendations.
-Brian

1. Is This Your First Time Buying A Tablet? No.
  2. Do you already have an operating system in mind? Anything but iOS (I expect I'll find an Android tablet but am open to anything else)
  3. What screen size do you have in mind? 10"+
  4. Preferred Brand(s) - Anything but Apple
  5. Brands Not Preferred (specify why) No Apple - we use Android and Windows for all of our other devices
  6. How much do you want to spend on your tablet? <$300 (but will entertain up to $500)
  7. Do you have cellular service? Or do you want the tablet to be WiFi only? Must have cellular capability (we have Verizon)
  8. If you do have cellular service, who is your provider and how much data are you allowed per month? Verizon - no data limitations
  9. Do you want the tablet to be a full laptop replacement? Nope
  10. What existing apps do you use? What do you intend to do with this tablet? No app usage. This will be used to access our website in order to fill out forms while out in the field. I'll likely find a keyboard cover on Amazon assuming one exists for that model.

Mar 3, 2022
Hi COLGeek! Thanks for the recs.
We looked at what Verizon offered but everything they do offer is generally overpriced. I did find some of those same items for cheaper on other sites (Amazon, etc.), so I know I could just buy one of these models, get a SIM card from Verizon, and be confident that it will work. We may resort to that, but most of these tablets are generally too high end. We just need cellular internet access.
Otherwise, I've sorted through Newegg and Amazon and it's difficult to tell what actually will work on Verizon. I would expect any tablet that had LTE capability will work, but I thought I'd see what advice the good people at Tom's had for me.
Thanks again!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Personally, I would recommend a newer device, from a cybersecurity perspective (OS more up to date and secure).

As you noted, you can certainly pick up an unlocked device and install a SIM.

You also have the option to get a non-cellular capable tablet and use the wi-fi to connect to the hotspot on your phone. This saves you from adding another Verizon account (cost).

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022
I bought a samsung tablet from Amazon that said it was Verizon compatible but they were not. So, I got one from Verizon. I paid it off and afterwards moved to AT&T. Neither tablet will work on AT&T. Just something to think about.