Looking to step up from the M40X

Singularity2

Estimable
Oct 5, 2015
Recently my Audio Technica M40X have broken one side and now require some tape to hold together properly. I am looking to replace them and have a £200 budget to work with.

I was just wondering if there's anything out there that's significantly better than the M40X's that fits into the £150-200 price range. I've had these for years and they've served me well. I would just buy these again but I feel like there's something out there that's better, offering more detail in the sound.

A bit about preferences and my setup:

I use my PC to drive them the majority of the time. Motherboard is the Asrock Extreme4 Z170 with the onboard Realtek ALC1150 audio codec.

I prefer Over-Ear headphones over others.

As the M40X are my first pair of "real" headphones, I don't know much about open vs closed. I don't have a particular preference when it comes to that as I haven't heard any open ones.

I listen to a wide range of genres but mostly EDM (Hardstyle, Trance, Dubstep, Chillstep) and soundtracks from movies/shows.

I like the balanced approach to sound.

Solution
Open headphones are the poor man's speakers, really only smart in a quiet listening room (or a studio), but they run circles around closed.

I haven't tried them, but if I were in your shoes, I would take advantage of recent access to affordable planar headphones, and buy a pair of Monoprice Monolith M560 closed back headphones.

If open is desirable, I'm a fan of Hifiman, you could afford their HE400i model.

Best of luck.

Bruce Hugo

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Open headphones are the poor man's speakers, really only smart in a quiet listening room (or a studio), but they run circles around closed.

I haven't tried them, but if I were in your shoes, I would take advantage of recent access to affordable planar headphones, and buy a pair of Monoprice Monolith M560 closed back headphones.

If open is desirable, I'm a fan of Hifiman, you could afford their HE400i model.

Best of luck.

Solution