Looking to upgrade my gaming Laptop - suggestions?

ForestDingo

Estimable
Aug 13, 2014
I was looking around for some good deals and I came across this guy - https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT72VR-Tobii-031-Hardcore-i7-6700HQ/dp/B01IO9Y35G/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1491175581&sr=1-8&keywords=gaming%2Blaptop%2B1070&th=1

I noticed that there's a second version with more ram (32gb vs 16gb)/bigger SSD (512gb vs 128gb)) for $600 more. Not sure if it's worth it, but that seems like quite a jump for only a RAM/SSD upgrade - https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT72VR-Tobii-031-Hardcore-i7-6700HQ/dp/B01IO9YB7G/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1491175581&sr=1-8&keywords=gaming%2Blaptop%2B1070&th=1

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions for laptops would be great too. My budget is around $1500-$1600

Solution
It's not worth it. If the primary purpose is to play games, then 16GB of RAM is more than enough.

The more expensive version has a PCIe NVMe SSD interface rather than the typical SATA 3 SSD interface. PCIe NVMe SSDs are both more expensive and faster than SATA SSDs; they also run a bit hotter. For gaming a SATA SSD is more than enough. If you are a professional video editor, then you definitely want PCIe NVMe because you would likely be working with multiple very / extremely large files that can take a long time to load and will definitely cause lower performance due to the amount of time need to load files into memory; and 32GB of RAM would be a good idea for professional video editing.

It's not worth it. If the primary purpose is to play games, then 16GB of RAM is more than enough.

The more expensive version has a PCIe NVMe SSD interface rather than the typical SATA 3 SSD interface. PCIe NVMe SSDs are both more expensive and faster than SATA SSDs; they also run a bit hotter. For gaming a SATA SSD is more than enough. If you are a professional video editor, then you definitely want PCIe NVMe because you would likely be working with multiple very / extremely large files that can take a long time to load and will definitely cause lower performance due to the amount of time need to load files into memory; and 32GB of RAM would be a good idea for professional video editing.

Solution