Losing my mind, help.

parbynat

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016
Hi
Two weeks ago I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7, after a week I decided to reset my laptop as there was far too much going on.
After browsing the forums I saw a few threads from people who had successfully upgraded their dell alienware's ram from 4gb to 8gb.
Two days ago I received two 4gb sticks of ram but after inserting them windows 10 give me a kernel security check failure warning.
I read on here that returning to windows 7 will fix this, but this is where my problem lies, It's as if windows 10 now controls everything including restoring factory settings.
When I press F8 and try and repair computer windows 10 is providing the options.
Is there a way I can return to windows 7?
Thanks
P.S. Bios has recognised the new ram.

Solution
Do you remember if you did a clean install of windows 10 or upgrade? If you upgraded, you can revert back to windows 7. If you did a clean install, you have to install windows 7 as a clean install and cant revert back.

I got that straight from Microsoft about 4 months ago when I did an RMA on my motherboard and I now get a prompt to activate windows since Windows 10 embeds the serial number for windows 10 in the motherboard BIOS.

Hope that helps...

englandr753

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Do you remember if you did a clean install of windows 10 or upgrade? If you upgraded, you can revert back to windows 7. If you did a clean install, you have to install windows 7 as a clean install and cant revert back.

I got that straight from Microsoft about 4 months ago when I did an RMA on my motherboard and I now get a prompt to activate windows since Windows 10 embeds the serial number for windows 10 in the motherboard BIOS.

Hope that helps...

Solution

parbynat

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016
Thanks for your reply.
It looks as if I'm going to have install windows 7 and that I can't retrieve it.
Not sure how I'm going to install it as windows 7 came with the laptop.