Loss of information on WinRar extraction

SorenIX

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Hello everyone! I got a problem that's bugging me a lot at the moment... I don't know if I'm in the right place for this kind of problem though... Here I go anyway :

I bought this zipped album file a few minutes ago and when I extracted it into a proper folder to put it with the rest of my music, I noticed the informations about the album and songs were missing.

I checked the information on the songs directly into the zipped folder and I can see it. The program Mp3Tag can see the information on extracted file, but when I check the songs detail or put it on windows media, it's blank and unknown.

Anyone could tell me how I could extract these songs without losing the information? (I can't even edit the extracted songs manually. The editing fields are locked)

Thanks for further information!

andrew_berge

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
It might be a problem with the ID3 tags. There are several different versions of ID3, and mp3 files typically have two sets embedded, ID3v1 and ID3v2. Sometimes the two sets don't match up, and different media players will display different information.

The fact that you can't edit the tags is weird, though. You can test the files with software such as audiotester, see if there's anything weird going on (i'm not sure if audiotester detects tag conflicts, though).

Audiotester (halfway down the page, no installer)
http://www.vuplayer.com/other.php

andrew_berge

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
Now that you mention it, I notice that it doesn't even say what it searches for specifically. But when I scan my mp3s there's a handful that say the end is truncated, or the file loses sync at a certain time. It just checks for the most common errors, I guess.

Anyway. Rereading your first post, do you mean you can't edit the tags manually with WMP? Are you able to edit the tags with Mp3Tag?
You can check the properties of the files and see if they have more than one version of ID3 in them.
If so, select all the files, right-click and cut the tags, then paste them all back in. That should overwrite any conflicting tags, and if it doesn't fix your problem we can at least rule that out.

SorenIX

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
I can see the tags perfectly on my MP3 device. I can see them from the zip file when I browse the .RAR with windows explorer and right click>properties. But as soon as a file is out of the .RAR, everything is unknown to WMP and I can't edit the information by the porperties like I always do. MP3tag sees the information just fine, whether it's in or out the .RAR.

So I don't know what the problem really is.