Lost asus hard drive boot after temporary usb booting

petertc2

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
Asus U57A. I went to boot screen in bios to set up temporary booting from usb. Did that and it booted from usb just fine. But I ended up making a mess of it - only 1 boot option (USB) shows anymore. I'm finished with usb-booting but can't go back to regular sequence. I don't know the steps or details to get hard drive booting back. ???
Thank you, Peter TC.

unclebun

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
You would change the boot order the same place you did it to enable USB booting. If you do not see a hard drive as a choice in the boot order, check in the Main section of the BIOS to see if the hard drive is even listed. If not, it may have become disconnected.

petertc2

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017

-----------------
I used the usb boot to install the cloud ready chrome system/eliminating windows. It was part way through making smoe choices that the computer shut down. When I check the bios now, boot option 1 is usb, boot option 2 is dvd, and there's nothing else. Under the advanced tab, the bios lists the hard drive on port 1 and the dvd player on port 2. The main page lists the laptop's serial number under System info. I guess I knew just enough to get myself into trouble. I looked at the "Add new boot option" and am over my head in a couple of the blank spaces...
Petertc

May 26, 2018
The same exact thing happened to me and I didn't know what to do. Now my pc is up and running like it used to what happened is I booted my asus pc up with a usb flash drive and it started relying on the flash drive to operate it like the flash drive erased its memory, anyway if you want to fix this is to use a cd or flash drive that contains an operating system like windows home or pro and put the disc or flash drive into your pc and boot it up. and then you need to allow the cd drive to boot up with the cd or flash drive and it will take you to a purple screen (well it did for me) and then you need to press install now.

May 26, 2018
You basically need to reinstall the operating system on the hard drive that has forgotten how to use windows because of the USB drive that or reinstall it on a separate drive and connect it to your PC. You could also use the USB drive that you used to boot up and install the hard drive onto the hard drive. Hope this solved your problem!